The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Far worse than HS

I expect to hear it from 1 side or another on any close play. Its part of the game and half the fun. Let it go and keep your mind on the game and keep the game running. You don't want to draw attention to anything that may bother you or SLOW down the game. You're in charge, but you can't put a fence between the field and the OPEN dugout. Don't stop to discuss it or ask about anything because it only increases the CATCALLS.

Why should teams or fans be kept from suppporting their teammates when things turn sour. Lozers are never happy people. I would like to know what your wrote in that report. "He argued with my partner's judgment call" just doesn't cut my mustard for an ejection. College kids are peanuts, but I can't believe you ejected the HEAD guy if you plan to go back there any time soon. Now I know my comments aren't welcomed by some members of the peanut gallery. But I am sure I have read better advise on this website that supports my position. You have to show thick skin and only eject for C's and P's. I can only guess that WE call that approachable, now.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Why post? That is like asking why log on? And, if I don't agree with you I am not suppose to respond for fear of what it might look like to you?

So you guys eject every assistant coach that talks to you, or questions you? Do you get like 4-6 ejections a week?

mcrowder, just because I said I warned someone doesn't mean that I said, "Hey you, that is enough" or "not one more word." Like I said earlier I would be a very foolish official to practice those types of habits. And as far as the parenting thing, that is apples and oranges and in poor taste as an example.

If I said, "Hey guys were not going to sit here and do this all day." and someone responds, I am suppose to dump him?

Pete, since I was promoted in 2002 in pro ball and opted to leave the game for a more stable and rewarding career and l have happily worked a very nice Div I schedule, and I have never once been questioned by partners, observers, or coordinators about how I handle people on the field.

I posted and will continue to post real situations so that others and myself can learn from them. Unless you have any objections.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I posted and will continue to post real situations so that others and myself can learn from them. Unless you have any objections.

I do not care what you post and you can post to your "hearts content" but here is one of your responses to a poster

Again, I will happily answer any questions you have and engage in any discussion you would like to on the topic of handling situations.

In that entire thread it sounded to me as if you were defending yourself.

The ending of your original post was with a question which IMO was answered, yet you didn't like the answer and felt the need to give a disertation on your umpiring career to substantiate what you did.

As far as your comment about ejecting assistant coaches. If you ignore them there's no need to eject.

IMO, engaging with an assitant coach is like engaging with the scorekeeper.

Again as I stated in my original post to you, the theme of the thread is "why did you feel the need to engage with the assistants." Perhaps you knew them

Pete Booth
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:26pm

I'm still trying to get past "rum dum high school or adult ball."

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by mick; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 10:46am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I'm still trying to get past "rum dum high school or adult ball."
Steve,

High school and adult ball ejections happen ever day without being reported, that was my point and you are correct I should have stated it in a better way.

Last edited by mick; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 10:47am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Ok Pete,

I don't know too many people that would take a side and not defend it, but I am willing to learn so teach me because I want to know how to do it better.

"In the top of the 2nd, the third out was made on a non-routine play at first base where the first baseman possibly had his foot off the base. My partner called the runner out and the entire dugout erupted."

Why don't you explain to me how you handle it from there and why you handle it that way.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
Steve,

High school and adult ball ejections happen ever day without being reported, that was my point and you are correct I should have stated it in a better way.

That’s certainly not how it’s done here. All ejections including coaches, assistant coaches and players must be reported in full with in 24 hours.

Paul B.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Paul, that may be the case where you are from; and I am not saying that it happens every day all, the time, but we have all heard stories about someone getting ejected and no report was ever turned in. It is not like I am saying that you have to believe in a rising fastball, because I am not, but are you telling me that every high school and adult ball ejection in the country gets reported?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Paul, that may be the case where you are from; and I am not saying that it happens every day all, the time, but we have all heard stories about someone getting ejected and no report was ever turned in. It is not like I am saying that you have to believe in a rising fastball, because I am not, but are you telling me that every high school and adult ball ejection in the country gets reported?
No,

It just came off as a slight toward HS umpires. Here the AIA takes ejections quite seriously.

Paul B.

Last edited by Az.Ump; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 01:23am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Durham is just asking for advice on how different umpires handle a situation. If I was told something that I might not fully understand the reasoning, I would ask questions. Not so much to question your responses but to understand why you would do something. If I have a different way of handling situations and think its a good way to handle it then I will defend my reasoning. Everybody is different umpire. If umpires come on here to try to learn I would want as much information as possible. If guys want to write where the umpiring career has taken them that is more information to render which way will be the best to handle the situation. For example if one guy says just ignore them and he's experience is little league. While the other guy says issue as many warnings as possible then eject and has pro ball experience. Who has the most experience and has the most up to date training for these types of situations. As an umpire I would want to have options for handling situations. Just look at how many ways everybody handles just this situation. I think that is what these forums or all about. Teaching guys new things or adding to your "toolbox". Not to bash each other. Keep posting it's great to see everybody sharing info.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Around here, they do. I assign a 44-team adult league and the umpires are required to file ejection reports. There are usually 1-2 a week. And since all ejections in HS carry a 1-game suspension, umpires are expected to fill out an ejection report ASAP after an ejection occurs.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

In Oregon we are required to report all ejections within 24 hours. All ejections carry an additional one game suspension (appealable).

In high school baseball last year there were 96 ejections across all levels of high school baseball statewide. 41 of those ejections were for Malicious Contact.

Over 60% of the ejections occurred at the sub-varsity level. 9 forfeits were documented, all at the sub-varsity level, when teams did not have an ASEP certified coach to take over after a coach ejection.

Of the 96 ejections 41 were appealed for "special considerations". All appeals were tied to cutting the game suspension for the player/coach or to lower or eliminate the fine for the ejection.

20 appeals were granted by the Oregon School Activities Association. Neither of the player ejections that occurred during playoffs were successfully appealed.

Oregon is serious about reporting ejections.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Well .....................

Durham,

In a posted love letter to yourself about your skill in verbal banter with game participants, you asked a question.

You received answers that didn't match your lofty opinion of yourself.

Then, the ever popular umpire internet post when one's point-of-view is being dismantled, the "I coulda-woulda-shoulda been in pro ball, so don't question me". Did Jimmy Rollins tell you that you were a good ump when he was in Little League?

And, finally, PWL allies himself with you.

This post is a prime example of your game management skills. Nip it in the bud, don't let it gain a life of its own. You keep going back, when you should just deal with it and let it go.

Doug
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
durham - I think you issued too many warnings, so do many of the others here. Ultimately, you are answerable to your coordinator and to the coaches and our opinions amount to a hill of beans.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In high school baseball last year there were 96 ejections across all levels of high school baseball statewide. 41 of those ejections were for Malicious Contact.
This reminds me,Tim. Have you made much progress on your work to define what constitutes malicious contact in NFHS play in Oregon?

Tim.