The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I worked probably the best game I've seen all year last night. The kids were incredible! The gym was full! And neither coach said a word to me all night!

League Championship game - Team A comes out on a tear and takes an early 9-0 lead with a couple of three's. But Team B follows with a barrage of their own three's, roars back and ties it at 20 by halftime.

In the second half, things heat up! Kid for A hits a 3 and gets fouled for the 4 point play. Team B makes a run and goes up by 5. But Team A, not to be be denied, ties the game at 41. 30 seconds left, A's ball when B makes a great steal but steps on the sideline. A inbounds the ball and A23 hits a baseline jumper with 14 seconds left, nothing but net! B's last effort results in a turnover and A wins 43-41! The Magic are the 9-10 year-old PeeWee League Champs!

Most fun I've had all year!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I do a fair amount of rec ball myself and you can see some excellent play in these games. BTW, do you live in Fayetteville? I lived there 1975-1981 (worked for the Army Audit Agency) at Ft. Bragg. I lived in Arran Lakes (sp?) off of Raeford Road.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 12:48pm
Suppref

Thumbs up More fun than some hs games...

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The Magic are the 9-10 year-old PeeWee League Champs!

Ref, I worked 10 year old girls semi in local YMCA tourney last night. Just as much fun. Same type of game as yours Team B is up 4 with 30 seconds left. The smallest girl on team A, under 4 ft and all of 50 pounds wet. Beats the team B dribbler down the floor, establishes LGP and takes the charge. Before she hits the floor I blow the whistle for PC on B. I go over and she is already on her feet going to baseline to inbound ball. I asked if she was okay and she said with a big smile," I'm fine , that's the first time all year the foul wasn't on me." Those are the moments you don't forget.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Yep, these games are fun!
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

First year refs like myself get to do alot of youth rec ball. The biggest thing that will get me to come back for a second year is watching those kids compete. There is so much character being built on the court adn so many of lifes rules and lessons being displayedthat I would probably do it for free, but don't tell my assignor that. My sister is one of those left wing Califoria liberals who doesn't think that her kids shoud play competitive sports. Man are my Niece and Nephew missing out.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I do a fair amount of rec ball myself and you can see some excellent play in these games. BTW, do you live in Fayetteville? I lived there 1975-1981 (worked for the Army Audit Agency) at Ft. Bragg. I lived in Arran Lakes (sp?) off of Raeford Road.
Yep, born and raised here. I live in Stedman, in the eastern part of the county.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Waytago Suppref!

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The Magic are the 9-10 year-old PeeWee League Champs!

I asked if she was okay and she said with a big smile," I'm fine , that's the first time all year the foul wasn't on me." Those are the moments you don't forget.

Beautiful! Just beautiful!
mick
Old Sat Mar 10, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Sarge
My sister is one of those left wing Califoria liberals
Well, I"m a left-wing Oregon liberal who thinks competitive sports are okay in their place, but I wonder why it's so hard to be non-competitive off the court. If the only way to strike the balance in society over-all is by some kids being totally non-competitive, that's not such an all bad thing. Maybe the kids of overly competitive parents are missing out on some things too!!
Old Sun Mar 11, 2001, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest flaw that I see with my sisters logic is that there is no way that she can shield her kids from competitive situations their whole life. I have watched my niece and nephew in alot of situations and I really believe they miss out and cannot react as well to overly aggressive behavior. Every one needs to learn when to flip their "Cool Off" switch, this is part of growing up. Some adults never do. Competitive sports provide the perfect forum for kids to learn this life skill. Kids that do not participate do miss out.