Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking another swipe a HS umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Durham,

Don't worry about me. I was just explaining what you were dealing with. They don't offer advice. They just want to cut someone to shreds with their hindsight. The only way most them can handle a situation without self-imploding is eject at the very first objectionable word. Most of them just work FED or a limited low level college schedule, anyway.

Take the situation, and learn from it.
Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

Paul B.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
More irony. Someone who has never had an ejection giving advice on ejections.

Durham:

You'll find excellent advice on this site. Where you'll run into trouble is when you begin to argue repeatedly against that advice. It's like I tell my sons. If you didn't want an answer to the question then why did you ask it. I can tell you that from my experience on the board and through private correspondence with some of the boards more prominent members there have been many, many umpires who've come here to validate themselves even though they were wrong. They ask a question and if they don't get the answer they want they beat it to death until they either get their way or everyone stops responding to them at all. I'm not saying you should be thrown into that category, but you will find the boards members leery of newcomers who begin to argue in their first few threads.

Tim.
I am not arguing, I am saying show me a better way and tell me why it is better. And if I respond with my reasoning, explain to me how it is faulty. I am sure there are knowledgeable people here that do share, but I am not seeing much of that. I have been wrong before and will be again, but I don't learn from being told that I am wrong without someone showing me how or why. I don't think anyone's kids will learn from no, don't do it that way, unless you show them how to do it.

If the board's members are leery of debate, then what makes them more comfortable?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I had a Juco game yesterday and my first ejection of the year. Here is how it went.

In the top of the 2nd, the third out was made on a non-routine play at first base where the first baseman possibly had his foot off the base. My partner called the runner out and the entire dugout erupted. I warned the dugout and told them that they could not do that. At this point, assistant coach X attempted to explain to me that his players did nothing wrong. I warned him again and told him that it was not his job, nor his players’ job to argue with the umpires; it is his head coach’s job. Then assistant coach Y attempted to argue the point with me by stating, “The game is not about you!” I then warned him by replying, “And it is not about you or your players arguing with me either.”.

If you want an honest opinion, here it is. I've removed the majority of your first post because had you ejected in the second inning most likely none of the other stuff would have happened. This would be the reasoning behind ejecting early. It keeps the game under your control and stops bad situations from escalating into terrible situations.

This is how I would have handled it. As soon as the bench erupted I would have issued a bench warning just like you did. When the first assistant coach became even a little bit confrontational I would have cut him off immediately. As soon as the second assistant coach said anything other than "good job" to me I would have dumped him. At the JUCO level all coaches know what the proper decorum is for discussing calls with the umpires. They chose to breech that protocol and should have been dumped almost immediately. The first one, yea, maybe you did the right thing by keeping him in the game. But, the second one? No way.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 01:56pm.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
If you want an honest opinion, here it is. I've removed the majority of your first post because had you ejected in the second inning most likely none of the other stuff would have happened.

This is how I would have handled it. As soon as the bench erupted I would have issued a bench warning just like you did. When the first assistant coach became even a little bit confrontational I would have cut him off immediately. As soon as the second assistant coach said anything other than "good job" to me I would have dumped him. At the JUCO level all coaches know what the proper decorum is for discussing calls with the umpires. They chose to breech that protocol and should have been dumped almost immediately. The first one, yea, maybe you did the right thing by keeping him in the game. But, the second one? No way.

Tim.
You are probably right, but the second he popped off I fired right back and he shut up so I turned around and went on with life. My partner and I talked about that exact same thing after the game over a burger and a pop and we decided that I could have gone either way with it. If I would have dumped him, then you are right, things probably would have been smooth sailing, but you never know with some of these guys.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Timmy the Troll strikes again. Please take your personal vendettas back to your little website. If you feel you have to suck up to certain posters, then you have no opinion. This is an open forum, not a cult. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It is a dark and blackened heart that carries hate. I'm praying for you, Tim.

I don't hate you, PWL. I don't even dislike you. Both would be wasted emotions. Now, I do find some of your posts extremely entertaining to say the least. Especially the ones where you try to give advice on things beyond the scope of your experience. Call any balks lately? LOL

Tim.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Timmy the Troll strikes again. Please take your personal vendettas back to your little website. If you feel you have to suck up to certain posters, then you have no opinion. This is an open forum, not a cult. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It is a dark and blackened heart that carries hate. I'm praying for you, Tim.
Hey Mr. I've Never Ejected Anybody But Feel The Need To Give Advice Concerning Ejections:

Tim was here long before you, so if anyone should leave, it's you.

I have ball bags with more experience than you have, so shut your pie hole, please. You have nothing of value to add to an umpiring conversation. You have demonstrated time and time again that you don't know what you are talking about. When people point out your obvious lack of experience, you come back with hate speech, and it's just not welcome.

Don't ever pray for me, because I'm sure you don't have any connection with God, and I'd hate to know what you pray to.

Tim doesn't hate anyone, but if he hated you, he would have a good point.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not arguing, I am saying show me a better way and tell me why it is better. And if I respond with my reasoning, explain to me how it is faulty. I am sure there are knowledgeable people here that do share, but I am not seeing much of that. I have been wrong before and will be again, but I don't learn from being told that I am wrong without someone showing me how or why. I don't think anyone's kids will learn from no, don't do it that way, unless you show them how to do it.

If the board's members are leery of debate, then what makes them more comfortable?

Many extremely well-trained umpires offered you suggestions on how to have curbed the ill-mannered behavior early in the game.

Instead of , in the very least, agreeing to disagree, you proceeded to blather on about how what you did was correct and every one else was wrong. You were not debating, you were preachin' from the Bible of Durham.

Again I'll state, if you do not want to hear the answer, please don't ask the question.

You do not want to be shown anything, you want to attempt to showcase how superior you think you are.

Doug
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
Many extremely well-trained umpires offered you suggestions on how to have curbed the ill-mannered behavior early in the game.

Instead of , in the very least, agreeing to disagree, you proceeded to blather on about how what you did was correct and every one else was wrong. You were not debating, you were preachin' from the Bible of Durham.

Again I'll state, if you do not want to hear the answer, please don't ask the question.

You do not want to be shown anything, you want to attempt to showcase how superior you think you are.

Doug
Doug,

Serious question, what type of metal do you cut carbide keys with?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doug,

Serious question, what type of metal do you cut carbide keys with?

Serious answer, My manufacturing plant makes carbide-tipped bandsaws and I am the Keyman (foreman) of the operation. Plus, I carry alot of keys !

Doug
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
Serious answer, My manufacturing plant makes carbide-tipped bandsaws and I am the Keyman (foreman) of the operation. Plus, I carry alot of keys !

Doug
I recently bought several carbide tipped bandsaw blades, "Timber Wolf", for my new Delta X5 bandsaw. Pricey but well worth the money. Wood working is where the majority of my umpiring money goes.