Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 04:43pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve

I guarantee you wouldn't talk to me in person the way you do on the internet.

Maybe herein lies the problem: anonymity. It's like having road rage and flipping someone off. The person feels "safe" in their home behind their computer screen as a driver does in his car. It's amazing how the nicest people in the world can have the worst road rage. It's probably the same on discussion forums. I personally have a problem of holding grudges, and I won't forget the one who loves to use the metaphors.

Proudly,
Paul Lopez
Chicago, IL
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Windy, I promise this is the last time I respond to you. The next time you say ignorant things about me, the lack of a response will represent my disdain of you.

Your writing style is pretty much non-existent, so that isn't in question. It is your attitude which is in question. It's bad. Period.

I have never, in any way, felt inferior to you, so get that silly idea out of your pointy little head.

Okay, sarcastic instead of condescending. Much better!
I guarantee you wouldn't talk to me in person the way you do on the internet.

Goodbye, and good luck. May you have success in the upcoming season.
As I've said before, you would be wrong to think that.
You throw insults at many here, myself included. Your skin is too thin to accept reciprocity. You live in a glass house and I would have no problem saying anything to you. The implied threat is cowardly.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

As I've said before, you would be wrong to think that.
You throw insults at many here, myself included. Your skin is too thin to accept reciprocity. You live in a glass house and I would have no problem saying anything to you. The implied threat is cowardly.
Cowardly perhaps, but would like like to know something that is much more cowardly?

Post under a fake name! Using multiple aliases!!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

If you are implying that I do that, you should think very carefully before you cross a line that gets you banned from this site.

force majeur-
"...you will not use The Official Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defammatory, inaccuarte, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy or otherwise violative of any law."

It would appear that you have knowingly posted inaccurate information in an attempt to defame. That seems to be a terrific example of stupidity and cowardice.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

WWTB - From the response that the original poster has made, it would seem that it was not I that misread the post. It was NOT about closed threads.

As for the history between you and Carl, that is irrelevent. My comment was "from what I've seen." Nothing more. The history involved does not apply.

Presumptuous, yes. You took a generic post and assumed it was meant for you. Where as I saw someone griping about the "good" threads going down the toilet with name calling, and condescending attitudes. I think the song says, "You're so vain, you probably thing this song is about you..."

I do not feel inferior to you. But from the other replies on this thread, it appears that I have not taken a personal offense to your methods. It seems more that several dislike your condescending manner. Take or leave it, that's just you.

I saw no mightier than thou attitude in your reply to me. However, the strong defense told me that the comments may have struck a nerve.

I look forward to debates with you that actually pertain to baseball. If you can debate from experience and rules knowledge, I think there could be some room for education.

I think this thread about pointless threads has gotten pointless.

Darien
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

If you would like to discuss umpiring, make a baseball related query.

My reading skills are quite sufficient, thank you. The original post was exactly about recently closed threads. I did not feel that it was about me, in fact, I specifically mentioned that others have chosen the lower road. I even alluded to the fact that they weren't calling me names, but because of their behavior those threads were locked.

Because I usually (sheepish grin) take a moment or two before responding and use some uncommon words, some take my views as condescending. To use a baseball analogy again, "If I can throw a 98 mile an hour fastball, it is not my concern if you can't hit it. I am not going to pitch underhand." I realize how that sounds, but that is what a couple of people have implied. I shouldn't be arrogant about my past or present schedule/accomplishments/career. B.S.! I've worked very hard and benefited from some lucky breaks along the way. I've acknowledged that I'm far from perfect and by using a nom de net, seek no accolades for what I write. My concern is for dispelling inaccurate information, assisting others with my knowledge and sharing war stories like the rest of the class.

I find it relatively amusing that it is only the same two or three members that take an issue with my baseball related opinions. The big dogs aren't even growling and that should tell them something. Sometimes, the guys that are really out there know what they are talking about.

[Edited by WhatWuzThatBlue on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 06:57 PM]
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:22pm

Quote:

My reading skills are quite sufficient, thank you. The original post was exactly about recently closed threads. I did not feel that it was about me, in fact, I specifically mentioned that others have chosen the lower road. I even alluded to the fact that they weren't calling me names, but because of their behavior those threads were locked.
I just couldn't resist. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! "their behavior", oh, keep 'em coming!!!! Your behavior was saintly, oh wait, I think I see the halo!!!!

Quote:
Because I usually (sheepish grin) take a moment or two before responding and use some uncommon words, some take my views as condescending. To use a baseball analogy again, "If I can throw a 98 mile an hour fastball, it is not my concern if you can't hit it. I am not going to pitch underhand." I realize how that sounds, but that is what a couple of people have implied.
Do you really realize how that sounds. I don't think you do, because if you did, the problem would be solved. You have yet to use a word of which I did not know the definition. Your vocabulary is not farther advanced than anybody else's here, and if it is more advanced than some, you should not laud it over everyone's heads.

Like I have said before, you are probably a real nice guy, but you do come off as arrogant, and that's not real cool.

Cordially yours,

Steve
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

"Do you really realize how that sounds. I don't think you do, because if you did, the problem would be solved. You have yet to use a word of which I did not know the definition. Your vocabulary is not farther advanced than anybody else's here, and if it is more advanced than some, you should not laud it over everyone's heads.

Like I have said before, you are probably a real nice guy, but you do come off as arrogant, and that's not real cool.

Cordially yours,

Steve"

Actually, I understand exactly what it means and how it sounds. I never said my vocabulary base was more substantial than anyone here. I choose to utilize it, that is all. I do not lord it over anyone (laud means to praise from the Latin laudo, but you'll accuse me of doing it again), contrary to your beliefs. You should look at the pitching analogy again. Like Carl is wont to write, "It ain't bragging if you can do it." You never seem to have an issue when he talks about his endeavors, experience or varied braggadocio. I can assure you that he has many more years of doing this than I. Stop obscuring the message and relax. Most of what I write is about making the game better. Even when others tell you that I'm right, you still want to spar. Life is too short and we have more important issues to face. For example, I cannot find the damn can opener and my Heineken is getting warm by the second!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:49pm

Touche on the "laud/lord" issue. Too many Christmas carols.

Carl has always sounded arrogant, but I've been reading his articles in Referee Magazine for 20 years now, so I am used to him. Plus, I know who he is.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I find it humorous that Carl, BU56 and Garth have taken to name calling, yet you find what I write to be offensive

1. I understand that at times I post antagonistically. However, I try not to get involved in name calling. I've gone back over some recent threads and didn't see where I call anyone a name. I did refer to a poster who I did not identify as a "town crier", but that's about it. I may have missed something and Lord knows my memory is not perfect. Please let me know where you've seen me do this. I owe anyone and everyone that I called a name a sincere apology and I'd like to make amends.

2. I never said I find anything you write offensive. Why do you make things up? I find some of it stupid, granted, but I'm not offended by stupidity...just amazed.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 08:51pm

not refering to Garth

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

2. I never said I find anything you write offensive. Why do you make things up? I find some of it stupid, granted, but I'm not offended by stupidity...just amazed.
Garth,

WWTB was refering to me being offended by his writing, to which I replied that it was the way he went about expressing himself that I found offensive.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Garth, I neglected to add TAC to that list, my bad!

McGripes, Sleazeteams, rats, prick, troll, little league (small letters), Johnny One Note...I could go on but tose are just the ones that come to mind and I refuse to research what you've called others in the past.

Dismissing questions by rookies or newcomers as being little league is as arrogant as anything I've ever written. I know one guy who gave up his high school and college schedule a few years back just to work Little League. He was decent enough to be asked to work the LLWS and did not embarass himself or the game. I applaud those that find virtue in volunteering. I wouldn't want to do it, but I don't think they are idiots for not working high school or college baseball. They are just the best at that level.

I need another Heineken.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

McGripes, Sleazeteams, rats, prick, troll, little league (small letters), Johnny One Note...I could go on but tose are just the ones that come to mind and I refuse to research what you've called others in the past.

1. McGripes is what I call a web site, as is Sleazteamz. That is not calling someone a name.

2. Rats is a generic term for coaches.

3. You have me confused with someother old fart. I don't call people "pricks".

4. Troll is another generic term.

5. little league, small letters, is used as a generic term for youth baseball. I have explained that before and again, it is not calling someone a name.

6. You got me on that one. Johnny One-Note was directed at an individual. I forgot about that one. I apologize if it offended you.

By the way, I'm not offended by your exaggeration that I call people names. No need to apologize. I am disappointed in that you decided to make such an accusation without the proper research, though. If you had checked what you would have found is that most often I refer to one's actions when I use a label, not to the person.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 11:39 PM]
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

1. McGripes is what I call a web site, as is Sleazteamz. That is not calling someone a name.

2. Rats is a generic term for coaches.

3. You have me confused with someother old fart. I don't call people "pricks".

4. Troll is another generic term.

5. little league, small letters, is used as a generic term for youth baseball. I have explained that before and again, it is not calling someone a name.

6. You got me on that one. Johnny One-Note was directed at an individual. I forgot about that one. I apologize if it offended you.

By the way, I'm not offended by your exaggeration that I call people names. No need to apologize. I am disappointed in that you decided to make such an accusation without the proper research, though. If you had checked what you would have found is that most often I refer to one's actions when I use a label, not to the person.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 11:39 PM]
They are all names and I never said that you call people names - read it again. By the way, **hole is a body part and a name, so quit playing semantical games. 'Rats' is not a generic term for coaches anymore than blind mice is a generic term for umpires. TAC and you disdain small field questions. That is okay, but you were once there; it is deplorable to think you can't ignore a question that may be of use to someone else. Maybe a newbie has an honest question or would like some advice. Are you too noble to allow such dialogue? You implied you were a parent; I hope you didn't ignore questions from your children because you answered them once before.

I listed several individuals who were namecalling (the term I used) but you keep acting like those other names weren't there. Martyrdom doesn't suit you. I believe that the apology may be owed to your reading teacher, however. I don't feel the need to 'research' any more; they were all accurate quips from the fingertips of those mentioned. I could pull the quotes for you, but I feel you have learned the lesson. Seeing you explain what those terms meant was punishment enough.

[Edited to include my original quote:
"I find it humorous that Carl, BU56 and Garth have taken to name calling, yet you find what I write to be offensive. By the way, I'm not referring to them calling ME names, that would be too easy. Recent posts to others have contained their vitriol."]
Closed Thread