The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

OK, why don't we talk about some of the good and bad renditions you've heard sung:

Good -- The Dixie Chicks at the Supoer Bowl in San Diego a few years ago. You can find this one on any illegal file sharing service you may have.

Bad -- Carl Lewis. Don't know when it was exactly, but it was horrible. His voice cracked near the end. He even said something like "Sorry bout that" right in the middle of it. Horrible singing, but pretty damn funny.

Any other nominations?

Discuss.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Good, bad and ugly

Ugly: Carl Lewis was bad, but not nearly as bad as Roseanne. To this day, she is banned from the TV in our house. We even gave in and watched "Monster in law" with Hanoi Jane. We will NEVER forgive Roseanne.

Bad: Willie Nelson, who was either drunk or stoned or both.

Bad and good: Jose Feliciano, Jimi Hendrix.

Good: Whitney Houston. Statler Brothers. Mo Cheeks rescuing the girl in Portland last season. Cubs PA man. Air Force Band & Choir. Many others, but those are at the top of my mind...

Someone asked why they play it before every game...I have seen several credible accounts about how that goes back to either 1917 or 1918 World Series. Anyway, around WWI a band played it...a real band...before a World Series game.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

The Dixie Chicks are truly talented, however, after their tirade against the President, they are banned in my house.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

As I said, I've never heard a bad arrangement, just some that aren't as good as others.

The best:

1. London Philharmonic
2. San Jose State Symphonic Band (arr. Scott Pierson)
3. USMC Drum and Bugle Corps
4. The US Air Force Band
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. The Navy Band
7. Boston Pops (arr. Richard Hayman)
8. Aretha Franklin
9. Bruce Springsteen (Instrumental...a bit long, but good)
10. Acoustix (a cappela) (BTW, These guys also do a great vocal arrangement of Stars and Stripes... words and music by John Phillip Sousa)

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 24th, 2005 at 09:59 PM]
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:27pm

When teams see me coming, they start praying and singing Amazing Grace.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:58pm
Veteran College Umpire

Are there crib notes on all this history - and what day is the test? I must have missed the day that was announced...

For those of you not familiar, http://www.snopes.com is a great website for proving or disproving urban legends and popular myths and legends that circulate. I've been using that site for years to reply to folks who FORWARD me mail with headings "I Swear This Is True!!!"...

Gee, Garth..you didn't mention MY rendition in your top 10 list....wait a minute...you've never HEARD it! Probably just as well, looking at the list

JJ
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't "indentured" have something to do with teeth?

And for Garth . . . I didn't know all those singers and musicians you listed even did a rendition of "Amazing Grace".

And wasn't Newton the same guy that invented figs?

Jerry
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Well, I liked it

JG did a fine job - the only version I ever hated was Ms. Barr's and I haven't watched her show since.

BZ - 2 questions...

1 - Exactly who & how should it be sung since you're the expert

2 - Are you gonna get yourself laughed off ANOTHER forum?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I thought Josh Groban sang an excellent rendition of the National Anthem before the game. His tonal quality was beautiful. It was rich and full of feeling in my opinion, not the monotone garbage I'm used to hearing.

I'm surprised that none of you have commented on the woman who sang during the seventh inning stretch. What local bar did they pull her out of to sing for the entire country? For some reason, her singing reminded me of a flower child sitting at a camp fire almost too stoned to move, winging her way through it. She was the epitome of bad to me.

I'm hoping they'll get Lee Greenwood to appear during at least one of the games in the series to sing "God Bless the U.S.A."

It's a favorite in our household, and it has a tendency to bring a tear to more than one persons eye when he sings it.

Tim.

[Edited by bigump56 on Oct 25th, 2005 at 01:07 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
Doesn't "indentured" have something to do with teeth?

And for Garth . . . I didn't know all those singers and musicians you listed even did a rendition of "Amazing Grace".

And wasn't Newton the same guy that invented figs?

Jerry
1. Indentured: pt of indenture; to indent, as in the first line of each paragraph was indentured.

2. Actually all but Jimi have renditions of Amazing Grace.

3. No, Newton is the guy who sings like a girl and lives in Las Vegas.

Danke Schoen.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Garth,
Just imagine Jimi's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at an AA meeting! Instead of Newton's "Amazing Grace". I bet there'd be a ton more folks showing up to swear off of the booze. Or hitting some more "tokes"!

Somehow, the term "indentured" sure got screwed up over the years. I'm thinking now that it means, "a set of false teeth, worn by slaves; but with the first four spaces missing." That should cover it.

Didn't George Washington have a set of wooden false teeth? And he owned slaves? Hmmmmmmmm. Coincedence?

Jerry

P.S. I loved the Newton-Las Vegas connection. Very good. Now I'm wondering if those are really Wayne's teeth.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

indentured servitude

Indentured servitude goes back to the times of serfs and lords when a contract was written in duplicate on the same sheet of paper. The copies were separated by cutting along what we would today call a jagged line. It was called "indentured" because you could prove the two contract pieces were real by matching the "teeth" (jagged parts) when the two parts were later put together.

(apparently there was no carbon paper around England back then...but there was carbon stuff in other parts of the world...)

If memory serves me correctly, indentured servants were guaranteed some sort of basics, like shelter, food, and/or pay, in return for their work...contract laborers, if you will, while slaves (in the thinking of the day) were nothing but chattel and anything they were provided was simply because their owner wanted to protect their investment.

I'm not sure where all this fits into umpiring, although I have done some indentured servitude for an assignor or two through the years...
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:12pm
Veteran College Umpire

So Newton was serious when he invented the Fig Newton? That explains the "gravity" of the situation...

JJ
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I remember two particularly enjoyable renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner at the now-extinct Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia:

(1) The Philadelphia Orchestra under Wolfgang Sawallisch (a kid sitting in the row behind me wondered out loud why they didn't smash their instruments when they were finished)

(2) James Earl Jones speaking the words to the music

Several older people have told me that before World War II, the national anthem was played before some MLB games, but not all. During the war, the national anthem was played even before movies.

I like "God Bless America" better, but unfortunately the prologue is always omitted at ball games. Many people would prefer that the national anthem be either "God Bless America" or "America the Beautiful." However the mention of God in both would engender legal battles. Of course, the Star-Spangled Banner does contain the line "and this be our motto: in God is our trust" in a later verse.

In some public schools, any music whose words refer to God cannot be played, even if the words are not sung or spoken. So even the melodies of "God Bless America," "America the Beautiful," and the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" are no-nos.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

really sad!

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I remember two particularly enjoyable renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner at the now-extinct Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia:

(1) The Philadelphia Orchestra under Wolfgang Sawallisch (a kid sitting in the row behind me wondered out loud why they didn't smash their instruments when they were finished)

(2) James Earl Jones speaking the words to the music

Several older people have told me that before World War II, the national anthem was played before some MLB games, but not all. During the war, the national anthem was played even before movies.

I like "God Bless America" better, but unfortunately the prologue is always omitted at ball games. Many people would prefer that the national anthem be either "God Bless America" or "America the Beautiful." However the mention of God in both would engender legal battles. Of course, the Star-Spangled Banner does contain the line "and this be our motto: in God is our trust" in a later verse.

In some public schools, any music whose words refer to God cannot be played, even if the words are not sung or spoken. So even the melodies of "God Bless America," "America the Beautiful," and the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" are no-nos.
The sad part about that is our kids today are missing out on history.

Songs like "America the Beautiful" have so much history behind them etc, and the kids today who aren't allowed to hear those songs (due to some crazy judge somewhere) are missing out.

My favorite though is still the late Ray Charles - he could evermore bring down some America the Beautiful.

Thanks
David