The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hello everyone.
A friend told me that it is a balk when a first-baseman holds runners with one foot in foul territory. Frankly, this was news to me. I also browsed the rule book and could not find it.

Is he correct? If so, is the act of having one foot in foul territory what constitutes the balk or must the pitcher also have to throw to the base?

Thank you in advance,

LR
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monguila
Hello everyone.
A friend told me that it is a balk when a first-baseman holds runners with one foot in foul territory. Frankly, this was news to me. I also browsed the rule book and could not find it.

Is he correct? If so, is the act of having one foot in foul territory what constitutes the balk or must the pitcher also have to throw to the base?

Thank you in advance,

LR
Your friend is not correct. This myth comes from a misreading of OBR 4.03 and 4.03(a), in which the penalty appplies only to 4.03(a).

If the opposing coach complains, tell F3 to get his foot in fair territory.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Garth,
Actually, doesn't the foot need to be in the field only at the TOP? Who's watching F3's foot at that point? If so, either the PU, BU or Coach has WAY too much time on their hands.

We're also taught . . . if a coach complains about the opposition on this one; you indeed enforce it . . . . starting the next inning when THEIR team is on the field. And make it dramatic! "You've gotta have your feet in fair territory!!!!! That's what your coach said!"

(That's assuming the coach is still around at that point!)
Jerry

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
Garth,
Actually, doesn't the foot need to be in the field only at the TOP? Who's watching F3's foot at that point? If so, either the PU, BU or Coach has WAY too much time on their hands.

We're also taught . . . if a coach complains about the opposition on this one; you indeed enforce it . . . . starting the next inning when THEIR team is on the field. And make it dramatic! "You've gotta have your feet in fair territory!!!!! That's what your coach said!"

(That's assuming the coach is still around at that point!)
Jerry

OBR 4.03:

When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 4.03:

When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

But there's no penalty specified.

The only penalty is for 4.03(a) Giving an IBB with the catcher out of the box - repeated in 8.05(l).

MLBUM (emphasis added)

2.16 FIRST BASEMAN PLAYING IN FOUL TERRITORY
Official Baseball Rule 4.03 provides that when the ball is put in play at the start of or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory. In particular, when holding a runner on first base, the first baseman shall position himself with both feet in fair territory. There is no penalty specified for violation other than the first baseman shall be instructed to keep both feet in fair territory if brought to the attention of the umpire, or-if blatant or recurring violationupon
immediate direction of the umpire. If a player, after so directed by the umpire, blatantly refuses to comply, the player is subject to ejection.

[Edited by Rich Ives on Oct 25th, 2005 at 03:28 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
OBR 4.03:

The only penalty is for 4.03(a) Giving an IBB with the catcher out of the box - repeated in 8.05(l).

A more careful read of my first post would have discovered that we've covered this.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
OBR 4.03:

A more careful read of my first post would have discovered that we've covered this.

So then I fail to understand the purpose of the second post. What's the point of referencing an inapplicable rule?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
OBR 4.03:

So then I fail to understand the purpose of the second post. What's the point of referencing an inapplicable rule?
A more careful read of my second post would show that it is in response to Jerry's post (hence the bold "quote" of his post) and specifically his question regarding TOP.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

And before you get stumped further, my third and fourth posts were, yet again, explaining the obvious to a coach.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I thank you all for the input and good discussions. They are appreciated.
LR
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

FED and NCAA

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Rich,

Isn't this rule different in FED? The first basemen is allowed to have one foot in foul territory. I don't have a rule book handy. They never did say what rules they were playing under.
Correct, in FED and NCAA they are allowed one foot to be in fair territory to be considered legal.

However, If I recall, for OBR, didn't Evans rule that the first baseman doesn't have to have both feet in fair territory?

I know what the rule is etc., but I thought he made a distinction.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FED and NCAA

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
However, If I recall, for OBR, didn't Evans rule that the first baseman doesn't have to have both feet in fair territory?
"In Major League play, this is completely legal. National Association Leagues instruct their umpires to allow this unless a complaint is lodged. In that case, strict compliance with 4.03 is required."
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: FED and NCAA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Rich,

Isn't this rule different in FED? The first basemen is allowed to have one foot in foul territory. I don't have a rule book handy. They never did say what rules they were playing under.
Correct, in FED and NCAA they are allowed one foot to be in fair territory to be considered legal.

Thanks
David
Penalty in FED - Illegal Pitch.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: FED and NCAA

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
"In Major League play, this is completely legal. National Association Leagues instruct their umpires to allow this unless a complaint is lodged. In that case, strict compliance with 4.03 is required."
As a side note, RED and NCAA took the time to define what constitutes being in fair territory.

FED 1-1-4 reads:
At the time of the pitch, all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box. A fielder is in fair ground when at least one foot is touching fair ground.

NCAA 5.4 reads:
Positions of the Defensive Team
SECTION 4. At the start of or during a game, all players of the defensive
team except the catcher must be in fair territory when the ball is put in play. Being in fair territory means that a defensive player must have at least one
foot placed in fair territory.

OBR never bothered to define this and that is what causes all the confusion with amateur umpires. Now to protect OBR let me say that it should be an understood fact of the game that one foot constitutes a player being in fair territory.