The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   National Anthem (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/22793-national-anthem.html)

bluezebra Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:01pm

I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretations.

Bob

Rich Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bluezebra
I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretations.

Bob

As a poem?

I didn't think it was bad, actually.

Trojans73 Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:39pm

National Anthem

Well BZ...where have you been? Most folks with any kind of culture would know who that young man was. Oh he can sing and he did an excellent job. That "clown" is globally renowned for his singing talent.

Rich Ives Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:43pm

Uh Bob, I hate to burst your bubble but there is no "as written" tune.

From the library of Congress at http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm065.html

<i>In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote new words for a well-known drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven," to celebrate America's recent victory over the British. However, only in 1931, following a twenty-year effort during which more than forty bills and joint resolutions were introduced in Congress, was a law finally signed proclaiming "The Star Spangled Banner" to be the national anthem of the United States.</i>

From Information Please at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0194015.html

<i>On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet in Chesapeake Bay to secure the release of Dr. William Beanes, who had been captured after the burning of Washington, DC. The release was secured, but Key was detained on ship overnight during the shelling of Fort McHenry, one of the forts defending Baltimore. In the morning, he was so delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort that he began a poem to commemorate the occasion. First published under the title “Defense of Fort M'Henry,” the poem soon attained wide popularity <b>as sung to the tune “To Anacreon in Heaven.” The origin of this tune is obscure, but it may have been written by John Stafford Smith, a British composer born in 1750.</b> “The Star-Spangled Banner” was officially made the national anthem by Congress in 1931, although it already had been adopted as such by the army and the navy.</i>

GarthB Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:46pm

Quote:

Bob

The Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 as a poem and was titled "Defence of Fort McHenry". His brother-in-law recognized that the words fit the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular drinking song from the mid 1700's.

That song was written in the key of C. Most band arrangements today are written in the key of A flat. Vocal arrangements depend on the range of the singer.

I don't know anyone who sings it as it was originally written. I have a copy of the original sheet music. You would barely recognize a perfomrance of it. It was written in 6/4 rather than the 3/4 of modern arrangements and the rhythm of the opening line is different that today. Instead of the words "O-oh say can you see?" being dotted eighth, sixteenth, quarter, quarter, quarter, half, as today's versions; they are quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, quarter, quarter.

In my all my various experiences including those of a sports official, member of the military, musician, band director and many others, I have never heard a bad arrangement of our National Anthem. Some may be better than others, but I enjoy hearing it played everytime.

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 PM]

JJ Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:49pm

As an uncultured one, and one who missed the tune, who was the world renowned singer who sang it?

JJ

PS Garth, did you not hear Roseanne Barr's rendition a few years ago? I'm not real picky but that one was not nice to listen to...

Trojans73 Sat Oct 22, 2005 08:05pm

As an uncultured one, and one who missed the tune, who was the world renowned singer who sang it?

JJ

Josh Groban

JJ Sat Oct 22, 2005 08:13pm

TY. I am familiar with his magnificent pipes. Sorry I missed his rendition...

JJ

SanDiegoSteve Sat Oct 22, 2005 08:14pm

Quote:

Bob

That was a beautiful rendition of the Anthem. Much better than when some Motown star takes 10 minutes to sing it. This version did not drag on, and was sung right on key!

OMG Sat Oct 22, 2005 08:49pm

I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretation

You mean how you want it heard right? Thats the right way? Oh boy.

David B Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Trojans73

JJ

Josh Groban

Sorry I missed that. I love the pure tone in his voice and he also does a great rendition of the Christmas song, "O Holy Night."

Actually, he's a very classical style of singer, obviously that's his background.

Thanks
David

RPatrino Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36pm

Hey, how was the umpiring in the game?? HAHAHA

BP

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Oct 23, 2005 03:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

Bob

The Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 as a poem and was titled "Defence of Fort McHenry". His brother-in-law recognized that the words fit the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular drinking song from the mid 1700's.

That song was written in the key of C. Most band arrangements today are written in the key of A flat. Vocal arrangements depend on the range of the singer.

I don't know anyone who sings it as it was originally written. I have a copy of the original sheet music. You would barely recognize a perfomrance of it. It was written in 6/4 rather than the 3/4 of modern arrangements and the rhythm of the opening line is different that today. Instead of the words "O-oh say can you see?" being dotted eighth, sixteenth, quarter, quarter, quarter, half, as today's versions; they are quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, quarter, quarter.

In my all my various experiences including those of a sports official, member of the military, musician, band director and many others, I have never heard a bad arrangement of our National Anthem. Some may be better than others, but I enjoy hearing it played everytime.

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 PM]

I should also like to add that when the Star Spangled Banner is played or sung correctly, it should take no more that 65 to 70 seconds for it to be sung or played.

MTD, Sr.

GarthB Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:59am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
[B]
Quote:

Bob

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 01:34 PM]

JJ Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:18pm

I recorded an acapella version of it a couple of years ago for use at a local ballpark. They had been using the arduous Whitney Houston version for several years which is good, but when it's 97 degrees my 1:03 version is more tolerable (my voice notwithstanding!)...

JJ