Thread: National Anthem
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I remember two particularly enjoyable renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner at the now-extinct Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia:

(1) The Philadelphia Orchestra under Wolfgang Sawallisch (a kid sitting in the row behind me wondered out loud why they didn't smash their instruments when they were finished)

(2) James Earl Jones speaking the words to the music

Several older people have told me that before World War II, the national anthem was played before some MLB games, but not all. During the war, the national anthem was played even before movies.

I like "God Bless America" better, but unfortunately the prologue is always omitted at ball games. Many people would prefer that the national anthem be either "God Bless America" or "America the Beautiful." However the mention of God in both would engender legal battles. Of course, the Star-Spangled Banner does contain the line "and this be our motto: in God is our trust" in a later verse.

In some public schools, any music whose words refer to God cannot be played, even if the words are not sung or spoken. So even the melodies of "God Bless America," "America the Beautiful," and the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" are no-nos.