The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretations.

Bob
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretations.

Bob
As a poem?

I didn't think it was bad, actually.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

National Anthem

Well BZ...where have you been? Most folks with any kind of culture would know who that young man was. Oh he can sing and he did an excellent job. That "clown" is globally renowned for his singing talent.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Uh Bob, I hate to burst your bubble but there is no "as written" tune.

From the library of Congress at http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm065.html

In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote new words for a well-known drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven," to celebrate America's recent victory over the British. However, only in 1931, following a twenty-year effort during which more than forty bills and joint resolutions were introduced in Congress, was a law finally signed proclaiming "The Star Spangled Banner" to be the national anthem of the United States.

From Information Please at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0194015.html

On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet in Chesapeake Bay to secure the release of Dr. William Beanes, who had been captured after the burning of Washington, DC. The release was secured, but Key was detained on ship overnight during the shelling of Fort McHenry, one of the forts defending Baltimore. In the morning, he was so delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort that he began a poem to commemorate the occasion. First published under the title “Defense of Fort M'Henry,” the poem soon attained wide popularity as sung to the tune “To Anacreon in Heaven.” The origin of this tune is obscure, but it may have been written by John Stafford Smith, a British composer born in 1750. “The Star-Spangled Banner” was officially made the national anthem by Congress in 1931, although it already had been adopted as such by the army and the navy.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bob
The Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 as a poem and was titled "Defence of Fort McHenry". His brother-in-law recognized that the words fit the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular drinking song from the mid 1700's.

That song was written in the key of C. Most band arrangements today are written in the key of A flat. Vocal arrangements depend on the range of the singer.

I don't know anyone who sings it as it was originally written. I have a copy of the original sheet music. You would barely recognize a perfomrance of it. It was written in 6/4 rather than the 3/4 of modern arrangements and the rhythm of the opening line is different that today. Instead of the words "O-oh say can you see?" being dotted eighth, sixteenth, quarter, quarter, quarter, half, as today's versions; they are quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, quarter, quarter.

In my all my various experiences including those of a sports official, member of the military, musician, band director and many others, I have never heard a bad arrangement of our National Anthem. Some may be better than others, but I enjoy hearing it played everytime.

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 PM]
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 07:49pm
Veteran College Umpire

As an uncultured one, and one who missed the tune, who was the world renowned singer who sang it?

JJ

PS Garth, did you not hear Roseanne Barr's rendition a few years ago? I'm not real picky but that one was not nice to listen to...
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

As an uncultured one, and one who missed the tune, who was the world renowned singer who sang it?

JJ

Josh Groban
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:13pm
Veteran College Umpire

TY. I am familiar with his magnificent pipes. Sorry I missed his rendition...

JJ
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:14pm

Quote:

Bob
That was a beautiful rendition of the Anthem. Much better than when some Motown star takes 10 minutes to sing it. This version did not drag on, and was sung right on key!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I just had the misfortune of listening to another fool giving his own rendition of the Star Spangled (actually "Mangled") Banner at the opening of the World Series. Where do the teams dig up these schmucks? This clown sounded like he was singing a funeral dirge. The National Anthem should be sung as it was written, with no personal interpretation

You mean how you want it heard right? Thats the right way? Oh boy.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojans73

JJ

Josh Groban
Sorry I missed that. I love the pure tone in his voice and he also does a great rendition of the Christmas song, "O Holy Night."

Actually, he's a very classical style of singer, obviously that's his background.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Hey, how was the umpiring in the game?? HAHAHA

BP

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 03:04am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

Bob
The Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 as a poem and was titled "Defence of Fort McHenry". His brother-in-law recognized that the words fit the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven," a popular drinking song from the mid 1700's.

That song was written in the key of C. Most band arrangements today are written in the key of A flat. Vocal arrangements depend on the range of the singer.

I don't know anyone who sings it as it was originally written. I have a copy of the original sheet music. You would barely recognize a perfomrance of it. It was written in 6/4 rather than the 3/4 of modern arrangements and the rhythm of the opening line is different that today. Instead of the words "O-oh say can you see?" being dotted eighth, sixteenth, quarter, quarter, quarter, half, as today's versions; they are quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, quarter, quarter.

In my all my various experiences including those of a sports official, member of the military, musician, band director and many others, I have never heard a bad arrangement of our National Anthem. Some may be better than others, but I enjoy hearing it played everytime.

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 PM]

I should also like to add that when the Star Spangled Banner is played or sung correctly, it should take no more that 65 to 70 seconds for it to be sung or played.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
[B]
Quote:

Bob

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 01:34 PM]
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 12:18pm
Veteran College Umpire

I recorded an acapella version of it a couple of years ago for use at a local ballpark. They had been using the arduous Whitney Houston version for several years which is good, but when it's 97 degrees my 1:03 version is more tolerable (my voice notwithstanding!)...

JJ