The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeinblue
I don't play both and never said that I do.
Again, I didn't write play. You activley engaged the roll of non-game official.
Quote:
Out of control parents/fans should be dealt with in these games...period.
Quote:
here it seems as though fans getting tossed are just as normal as coaches or players.
Quote:
I've only had to throw out 2 fans
You have said as much in these quotes.

Again, it is because you have been asked by non-game officials to do there jobs for them and you have happily accepted it.
Quote:
Here in East Tennessee we are told by every single tournament director to dump any fans that give us problems...
I don't think you can be as effective in either job, if you have to do both.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

You're right. After discussing this issue with all of you guys, my opinions on dumping fans have definately changed. That's the point of discussing, so I can learn. I just want to learn. Thank you all
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamondgal
I've never thrown a fan even when they've loudly stated that I must be sleeping with the entire amateur town ball team since they got all the calls going their way. Or being called a b***** or worse.
I take it, from your name here that you are female. I only know one female baseball umpire, and a very competent one at that. If I were female and someone hollered comments such as these in a family park, I think I would have to ask game management to deal with it.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

"Of course, since the kids are trying to make a little extra money they've never done anything about it since they think they won't be invited back."

Then your assignor isn't doing his job by not explaining how to handle these situations.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:04am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
He asks if I asks if that type of situation would occur again if I would say "infield fly" louder.

I agree with Jicecone, Lawrence and TEE. As they say in Brooklyn NY when it comes to Fans - "Forget about it" If the Fan is that unruly and making it virtually impossible to continue to do the game then let the TD / Coaches handle. If they do not it's an easy pay-day.

IMO, the point that no-one has brought up concerning this post is why you bothered to respond to a coach who said "if I would say "infield fly" louder".

My response would be "What did you say I can't hear you"
Do not even converse with coaches who Do not know the rules and are that ignorant. They got "burned" and are now trying to put the blame on blue. Simply walk off into right field somewhere and do not even respond to such nonsense. Chances are the Coach will not follow.

As umpires we simply give the rule and respond to questions about the interpretation of it and that's it. We do not RESPOND to "can we say it louder next time"

Chances are if you simply walked away none of the fan nonsense would have occured as well.

Pete Booth
Pete,

Just to clarify, the fan did not say that to me and the coach is the one who took care of it as I asked him to.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

I take it, from your name here that you are female. I only know one female baseball umpire, and a very competent one at that. If I were female and someone hollered comments such as these in a family park, I think I would have to ask game management to deal with it

DG, in that situation I asked game mgmt. to deal with those fans (overweight females). They didn't handle it well that night, but those fans were banned from the next 2 games which were playoffs. I do admit that night seems to stick with me more than I wish, but I believe I grew somewhat because of it. I've heard of other females that have quit because things got too hard to take. I'm not ready to do that. I love the game and am having a lot of success at it.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Guess what new trick I just learned? (unfortunately not soon enough)I just saw the little "quote" button. I'll try to behave next time..LOL
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:21am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Of course, since the kids are trying to make a little extra money they've never done anything about it since they think they won't be invited back."

Then your assignor isn't doing his job by not explaining how to handle these situations.

Bob
blue,

This could be true, but may not be. I would hope this would be explained, but I don't know for sure.

Either way, all in all, thanks for all your comments. Certainly got a lot of good input that I can think about and measure up to things. Tnx