View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeinblue
I don't know how it is where you're at Tony, but here when an umpire ejects a fan from the game, they have to leave...period. Also, we have the authority to do this...period. There can't be a tournament director at every field there buddy
I'm not sure how this works. Fan mouths off and you tell him he has to leave. Fan says, "Up yours." You say, "I have the authority to make you leave." Fan says, "Up yours! Why don't you go eat some $hit?" Now what?

Where do these game administrators come from? Most of the time, even at high school games, I don't know if there is an AD or anyone connected with the school (other than coaches). I have never seen a game administrator for AAU, Babe Ruth (except for TDs at tournaments), American Legion, MABL, MSBL, NABA, industrial leagues, you name it. From time to time, county police swing by games at county parks but you can't depend on it. Similarly, they usually come through school parking lots as you are getting ready to leave (activity and lights in the parking lot around 11 PM gets their attention).

Other than each other, may partner and I usually have nothing, no resources, to deal with an irate fan (or player for that matter) other than the general good will of whomever happens to be there. (Cell phone, pepper spray, and SIG-Sauer .45 ACP in the car if I can get there.)