View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Dude, Tjones, and others....I have never ejected a fan in 12+ years of umpiring. Only once did I talk to a fan and it could have gotten me in hot water. In a 9-10 game, during my first season, there was a group of people in and around the dugout giving my partner and I a rash of crap about a hit batter. I got tired of it and looked over at the dugout, at a lady, who I thought was actually in the dugout, and told her to knock it off. She intercepted me as I was leaving and gave me a bunch more grief, including insuating that I was a racist, and I was green enough to stand there and take it. First time, last time of conversing with a fan.

I am not sure where in the rules you are garnering your authority to throw out fans, but I'd be curious to see it.

As long as the fan isn't profane or obscene, they have a right to make an a** of themselves. Usually they will go on and on until somebody bigger and meaner tells them to shut up. Problem solved.

If they are profane or obscene, get a game administrator. If no admin exists, get the coaches together (unless it's clear a fan belongs to one side) and instruct them to handle the problem. If all of that fails, ask for someone to call the authorities. Have them remove the person. In all of the scenarios you have had no direct interaction with the fan, which is the way it should be.

If you are calling AAU or USSSA tourneys, I can't believe that the admins want you to throw out fans. That is their job.

If this is happening (umpires dumping fans) more than once in a blue moon, then something has to give. You may need to meet with the league officials. You may need to call elswhere. You may need to look in the mirror and see if you can do something to change it.

Finally, if dumping fans is something you do and you don't see why it's just not an accepted practice among umpires, you need to re-examine the credentials of those giving the advice. I am just one guy from NC but Mr. Carilli is a competant authority and he gave the same advice.

Lawrence