View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

dude - I think perhaps the reason you are having to deal with fans in the manner that you are is that your field admin has managed to foist his duties off on you. And you let him, and took up the charge.

In my entire career, I've ejected 2 fans - and those were simultaneous. These two were making such a racket, cursing and berating both me and the players, that we actually had players stop what they were doing. I looked for field admin, and they were apparently dealing with a mound issue quite far from me. Technically, I didn't eject them, but I did inform the coach of their team that we weren't playing until he got those two into the parking lot.

But I STILL felt like I could have handled that better. We, as umpires, have authority ON the field to handle issues ON the field, in order to maintain a fairly played game. We should not be put into a position where we are forced to personally deal with people outside the fences.