The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

The quoted rule says that the pitcher shall not raise either foot from the ground. The one exception in his actual delivery. That means that unless he is delivering the pitch, he shouldn't raise either leg.

Now, obviously, the leg has to come off the ground slightly to step. But that step should be a slide step. The pitcher can disengage or throw to a base very easily with a slide step.

No one should be looking to really enforce this unless the action is like the exagerated lifting of the leg that started this whole thread. Otherwise your picking boogers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
OBR 8.01 (a) The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.
I do beleive that this part of the rule has to do with the delivery. Else, how do you allow for the pitcher to disengage the rubber from the windup? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to raise your pivot foot from the ground to disengage the rubber?!? And the pitcher is allowed to disengage the rubber from the windup position - correct?

This does not satisfy your declaration; please try to find this rule you talk about again...
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
The move is by rule, not allowed in the windup. Why would you allow it in the set?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F

I do beleive that this part of the rule has to do with the delivery. Else, how do you allow for the pitcher to disengage the rubber from the windup? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to raise your pivot foot from the ground to disengage the rubber?!? And the pitcher is allowed to disengage the rubber from the windup position - correct?

This does not satisfy your declaration; please try to find this rule you talk about again...
Around and around we go ......

I think we all can agree that there's no specific statement that says "this move is xxxxxxx." So, we're left with individual interpretations / opinions.

Evans, Kalix, Hensley all say it's illegal.

Jenkins, cb, Garth all say (or would have said before Evans) it's legal.

(I did the above two statements from memory --apologies if I put someone in the wrong camp; apologies for those I missed)

Choose which opinion you think is correct.

Closed Thread