View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Steve got it right!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Lifting your leg up, isn't a step; It's simply just lifting your leg up!

Lifting your leg up AND placing it on the ground is a step. The question becomes, did the leg movement go forward or backward? Forward, it's a balk; backward, it's legally disengaging the rubber.

That's my take.
I'm in total agreement with your comments, Matthew......

Apparently some umpires have difficulty understanding what is and what is not part of a pitching motion from the set position. Lifting the pivot foot from the set position is definitlely NOT part of a pitching motion. With that in mind, how can it be claimed that the pitcher is simulating a motion associated with his pitch? Since it's definitely not part of his pitching motion, why should there be any doubt in an umpire's mind as to whether or not it's a balk? WHY should one even apply a standard of pitcher's intent to deceive when in fact the pitcher has done nothing illegal other than, with exaggeration, initiated his step backward?

An analogy here to a pitcher having stepped back off the rubber and then raising his hands to start his windup is a poor analogy since the raising of the hands DOES simulate a motion associated with the pitch.

But let's assume you balk the pitcher.............
Please give us your explanation to the coach as to what rule in the book has been violated..........

Just my opinion,

Freix

Exactly what I was thinking and you wrote it much better than I could have.

How can you balk a pitcher when he did nothing that is against the rules. Maybe a little wierd, but then just because it looks like a balk ...

... doesn't always mean its a balk (at least in the real world)

And good to see you're alive and kickin

Thanks
David