View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Bfair wrote "The pitching rules also state that a pitcher from the rubber must step directly to the base he is throwing or feinting to.........
So may I assume that if a LH F1 first raises his nonpivot foot upward and then steps toward 1B that you would balk him?"

It wouldn't be a balk because the pitcher can lift his leg to either pitch or throw to a base. Since he is not disengaging the rubber, lifting the leg means he could do either.

In this case, there is a legitmate reason to lift the leg up. It could be ones natural pitching motion or it could be a step. And until the pitcher makes a movement in one direction or the other, he is not committed to doing either.

When disengaging the rubber, there is only one thing a pitcher can do. And that is step backwards to disengage.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates