View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Let's just end this once and for all.

If there is some interpretation or opinion that the situation we've been describing is not a balk, I'd love to hear it. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong when reading the rule book.

I've been accused of making up this interpretation. I think it is in fact the other way around. I have written the appropriate part of the rule verbatim.

8.01 (b) says the pitcher must "...step backward off the pitchers plate with his pivot foot."

A step involves lifting the leg. We all agree.

The pitcher has to step off the pitcher's plate to disengage. We all agree on this as well.

The rule states that the pitcher, to legally disengage, must step backward. That clearly gives the direction of the step.

Bringing the knee up to the chest is a step up. It is in no way a step backward. If the step is up and then the foot eventually ends up behind the rubber, we have a step up and then a step backward.

I agree that a step involoves lifting of the leg. A step also involves movement in some x-axis direction. If you step forward you lift your leg and move it forward at the same time. It is a TWO DIRECTION MOVEMENT. The legs lifts and goes forward at the same time.

So why is it that everyone is going to ignore the "backward" portion of the rule. It is written first. Even before the word "off".

Logic dictates that if the direction and movement are written together to explain the how the step is to be taken, that BOTH direction, which is "backwards", and movement, "off", which means lifting of the leg in order to step, be done at the same time.

That is a very logical, straight forward, reading of the written word. It does say "backward off".

Give me a logical reason why anyone would allow one motion, off, without the other, backward? The rule isn't written that way. You can lift the foot and move it backward at the same time.

I'm being accused of making this rule up. But it reads backward off. Not up and off.

How does one justify breaking up the two movements when they are written together?

The rule says step backwards... Does it not?

The lifting of the leg is only one part of the step. It must have DIRECTION. And that direction is given first in the explanation of the rule.

BACKWARDS!

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates