The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Dead Ball period.

OBR: 5th inning R1 coach goes to Plate umpire with multiple subs. Is the pitcher allowed to throw with F5 while the umpire records the changes and does not delay the game?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
OBR: 5th inning R1 coach goes to Plate umpire with multiple subs. Is the pitcher allowed to throw with F5 while the umpire records the changes and does not delay the game?

Is this after the inning has started, say with 1 out? I don't see a problem with it.

If this is between innings, you could possibly count those as warm-up pitches.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
If this is between innings, you could possibly count those as warm-up pitches.
Why would they be meeting in the throwing lane?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Which coach: O or D?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's the difference? There is no rule that says F1 can't stay warm by having a pass with another fielder while time is out.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Typically the way I've handled this and seen it handled is that throwing with another player during a dead ball is never an issue as long as they are ready to go once the game is ready to resume.

The only catch to this is that if the pitcher is throwing with the catcher at the start of the inning (prior to the first batter), then I'm having my partner count the pitches and once I'm done talking with the coach about the substitutions, I'm allowing at least 1 more throws (so the catcher can throw down to 2nd base, infield can get the balls off the field, etc.) while I get back into position and ready to resume play. If the pitcher is throwing with F5 while waiting for me to return in this situation, then my assumption is that the pitcher is ready to go already. The only exception would be a situation where the delay is for the substitution of the catcher, and the team didn't have anyone else available to warm up the pitcher. As much as the delay stinks, I'm still allowing the full allotment of warm-up pitches without regard to the number of throws the pitcher made to F5.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2016, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Another one. Why is this happening?

OBR: Coach comes out in the fourth inning with a baseball and throws it to his second baseman, and then proceeds to talk with his pitcher. Two batters later he brings in his second baseman to pitch. I have never seen this before either. I guess as long as they are ready to go when I am there is no problem.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2016, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
OBR: Coach comes out in the fourth inning with a baseball and throws it to his second baseman, and then proceeds to talk with his pitcher. Two batters later he brings in his second baseman to pitch. I have never seen this before either. I guess as long as they are ready to go when I am there is no problem.
This one I stop immediately. There is no throwing going on here and no extra baseballs brought onto the field.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2016, 07:33am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This one I stop immediately. There is no throwing going on here and no extra baseballs brought onto the field.
Would you allow it with the game ball rather than an extra one?
Old Tue Jul 19, 2016, 01:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

No, I wouldn't -- unless someone came in the game off the bench to play F4.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2016, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Would you allow it with the game ball rather than an extra one?
Here's the FED interp:

SITUATION 11: As the head coach moves to the pitching mound for a defensive conference, he tosses a baseball to his third baseman and has him take warm-up throws with another player to get ready to pitch. RULING: A team cannot have a fielder, in the game, throw a baseball for the purpose of warming up as a pitcher, during a defensive conference or a pitching change. If a team desires to warm up a player in the game to prepare him to pitch, it would need to take him out of the game to warm up and then later re-enter him under the substitution rule. (3-4-1)

Note that NCAA is different:

A.R. 6 During a free trip, a defensive player may warm up with another defensive
player, provided it does not delay the game. The players warming up must be in
the current lineup and remain in fair territory during the charged conference. For
example, a bullpen catcher is not allowed to participate in this type of warm-up.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2016, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

FED would allow you to take F4 out - have him warm up - then re-enter.

NCAA and OBR will not allow re-entry so you can't do this.

LL has a re-entry delay so you can't do this.

Therefore different rulings from the rules-makers.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2016, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Even if I allowed it, what would he get? 2 throws? Cause I'm heading right to the mound as soon as this stuff starts.