The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
hey socalreff - who was the foul called on? was it Raivio #5 or #2 Pargo? There were two players there - the announcers and everyone else thought a blocking foul was called on #2 Pargo.

If you think it was a block on Pargo - then you are incorrect. It was called on Raivio for reaching in BEFORE Collison ended his dribble and started his habitiaul shooting motion. Good call by Gerry Pollard.
Jeffpea, I too thought it was a block on Pargo. I then saw the replay and seen the reach in by Raivio and understood why Pollard made the call. It was a good call.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Jeffpea, I too thought it was a block on Pargo. I then saw the replay and seen the reach in by Raivio and understood why Pollard made the call. It was a good call.
As was the so-called "block by the backboard"...the foul was called on the UCLA kid who slapped Knight across the arm as he was starting to jump - not the UCLA player behind him as he shoved the ball into the backboard...geez. The reffing was good in this game - Gonzaga's play down the stretch was not. That's why they lost...players are taught from early on to "chin the ball" when defenders apply pressure. Batista decided to stand there and hold the ball behind his head - instead of blaming refs, maybe he should kick himself in the a$$...
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I thought the announcers could find out who the official called the foul on? Someone was called for the foul, why would the Bilas not know who the foul was committed on? I thought the call was wrong as well (because I thought the block was called). It seems to me all someone had to do is ask who he called the foul on and that would have ended the discussion. Bilas went on and on about how bad the call and admitted later he did not know who the foul was called on. It was kind of funny.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 06:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Batista should KNOW that the Statue of Liberty play is used in football, not basketball.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I thought the announcers could find out who the official called the foul on? Someone was called for the foul, why would the Bilas not know who the foul was committed on? I thought the call was wrong as well (because I thought the block was called). It seems to me all someone had to do is ask who he called the foul on and that would have ended the discussion. Bilas went on and on about how bad the call and admitted later he did not know who the foul was called on. It was kind of funny.

Peace
Just curious.... I know the foul was on the reach-in, not blocking foul. You guys still think it was a non-shooting foul? I remember a D-1 assignor saying 2 things at various camps and one was, "Count the Basket or give him 2 shots if it doesn't go in. If he's picked up the dribble, he's in the act of shooting." Why do we as officials too many times penalize the offended and not the offender? We reward bad defense?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Once again, you show up simply to put down other officials. Time to move on, Socal. [/QUOTE]
I guess you haven't seen all my posts. I have responded to plenty of rules threads and other subjects as well. But when someone has a bad game, player or official, they aren't above critique.

eg. : The no-call in Washington UConn game on a goal tend that kept UW down by one instead of up by one with 1:20 remaining in OT.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Once again, you show up simply to put down other officials. Time to move on, Socal.
I guess you haven't seen all my posts. I have responded to plenty of rules threads and other subjects as well.
I've read enough of your posts to know that you'd rather tell us how bad an official is than talk actual basketball. And recently, at least, when you have talked about the rules, you've been dead wrong. Time for you to find something else to do, IMO.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I've read enough of your posts to know that you'd rather tell us how bad an official is than talk actual basketball. And recently, at least, when you have talked about the rules, you've been dead wrong. Time for you to find something else to do, IMO.
You can think that if you want but I stand corrected for now on one official I criticized earlier. Tim Higgins just had an OUTSTANDING half in the Memphis - UCLA game. He was en fuego. Travels, PC's, rebounding on both ends--awesome!!
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You can think that if you want but I stand corrected for now on one official I criticized earlier. Tim Higgins just had an OUTSTANDING half in the Memphis - UCLA game. He was en fuego. Travels, PC's, rebounding on both ends--awesome!!
Tell the truth now....you're not really an official, are you? You're a UCLA fanboy just wandering through.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No Senator Kennedy was not good today. Even BktBallRef said that he was napping out there.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

UConn--Mason game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Tell the truth now....you're not really an official, are you? You're a UCLA fanboy just wandering through.
The officials on the UConn game today did an outstanding job today. As a crew they were very consistent calling similar plays the same way on both ends including the points of emphasis. I do give credit where I believe it's due and I think that all 4 regional finals were officiated very well. I guess that's why those guys are on those games.
My biggest gripe with officials is when they don't do a good job of enforcing the points of emphasis as handed down by the boss. It just makes it harder for everyone to be consistent when some do and some don't. That's all.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 08:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The officials on the UConn game today did an outstanding job today. As a crew they were very consistent calling similar plays the same way on both ends including the points of emphasis. I do give credit where I believe it's due and I think that all 4 regional finals were officiated very well. I guess that's why those guys are on those games.
My biggest gripe with officials is when they don't do a good job of enforcing the points of emphasis as handed down by the boss. It just makes it harder for everyone to be consistent when some do and some don't. That's all.
It is easy for you and me to say this while sitting on our couches. Not sure what POEs you feel should be called, but I can tell you that not everything is easily seen on TV. Just because there is a POE does not mean you throw out all aspects of officiating to make a single call.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And what NCAA POE's are you specifically talking about that you think aren't being enforced?