The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Top of the 5th LSU gets caught on a BOO my question is did the ump get the call right?

Here is the way I saw the situation 1out and R1 on 1st LSU puts in a improper batter which struck out (2nd out) UCLA coach appealed for BOO before the next pitch the announcers said UCLA coach was correct and LSU assumed the batting order from where it should of been

My question is NCAA different on this than ASA should of not the correct batter who should of been up the 3rd out and the batter following been the batter up the next inning?

Thanks

Don
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Don,
Not sure on NCAA, but agree with what you
have for ASA. How about the 3rd BU on
the call of the gal at thrid for moving
her foot off base to kick dirt around?
See an off base call an off base
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Found a recap on this game in the UCLA Bruins site what happen I'm sure is there was some confusion the sub came in the bottom of the 4th and played 1st base but took the DH spot in the line-up the starting 1st basemen stayed in her spot in the line-up but then became the DH in the game. The umpire got it right the announcer got it wrong. I believe

Don
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Unless just changed this year, I do not see anything in the NCAA rule book which keeps any outs made during the BOO as ASA does.

I thought the weird thing was that play was stopped and the manager came in to check-out what was going on AND STILL DIDN'T GET IT RIGHT!

Stupid statement by the announcers concerning when a player goes in on defense everything is fine and dandy, but when they enter the batter's box, they must report the substitution. Yep, put ex-players in the press box and you will get, well, the same bull they dished out when they weren't ex-players. You would think at some point one of these wiz-kid producers would wake up and realize they have a better shot of getting the proper information from an umpire than a former player or coach.

But, that's why they get the big bucks!!
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

In BOO, the proper batter is called out, and the following batter comes to bat. You can't get a double out on BOO. You get either the out that the improper batter made, or the proper batter when appealed.

Batting order: Able, Baker, Charles, Davis, Edwards, Fox...
One out, Baker due up. Charles bats instead, strikes out. Defense appeals BOO (why, when they had the out already?). Appeal upheld. Baker called out on BOO (Charles strikeout is wiped off), two outs, Charles comes to bat.

Bob
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
You would think at some point one of these wiz-kid producers would wake up and realize they have a better shot of getting the proper information from an umpire than a former player or coach.
LOL - you betcha!

Tough choice for a TV producer, lets see:

a) Dot Richardson, stupid rules interpretations & bigger ratings, or
b) Grizzled old blue (GOB), correct rules interpretations & audience runs screaming for their remotes,

Dot ... GOB
Dot ... GOB

Tough choice, for sure!
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
(why, when they had the out already
Why? Charles is bottom of the order, .095 batting average. Davis is top of the order, .600 on base percentage (for example). Two shots at Charles for outs two and three? I'd take it.
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I didn't say there had to be an option of one or the other. Nor did I say the umpire had to be on-air. As a consultant, s/he would make these "announcers" look awful smart and at the same time help squelch the disinformation they presently spew out at the audience.
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

BZ,

I believe he was comparing the NCAA rule to that in ASA, where if it were BOO, the strikeout would stand along with the out assigned to the batter who failed to bat.

Of course, maybe that confusion is why the coach appealed it prior to the next batter. Maybe she, also, thought she was going to get a free out, but NCAA rules do not allow the umpire to record any outs on a properly appealed BOO.

Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
In BOO, the proper batter is called out, and the following batter comes to bat. You can't get a double out on BOO. You get either the out that the improper batter made, or the proper batter when appealed.

Batting order: Able, Baker, Charles, Davis, Edwards, Fox...
One out, Baker due up. Charles bats instead, strikes out. Defense appeals BOO (why, when they had the out already?). Appeal upheld. Baker called out on BOO (Charles strikeout is wiped off), two outs, Charles comes to bat.

Bob
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Speaking of ridiculous commentary by former players.Did anyone catch the comments made on the hit batter in the Michigan-Cal game on Saturday.The comment was that only 2 things can happen on a ball that either strikes the knob of the bat or the batters hand.You have a foul ball or a hit batter which the batter gets first base!!!Those kind of comments from a former top player sums up what we have to deal with as umpires.We all know that you can have a pitched ball hit the batter within the strike zone and we have a dead ball and a strike on the batter.I agree that someone with rules knowledge should at least be available to correct improper rules commentary.

Jeff