The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

How do I break these habits?

Hey All,
Worked a varsity match tonight as a linesman that went 4 sets and I need some advice on how to break a couple of bad habits-

A.When I have a ball that is barely going to catch the endline I have a tendancy to drift off the line and follow it down instead of staying straight up but turning and following it down.

B.When I have a swing from the back row I have a tendancy to leave the net and get into position to call the line leaving myself in a vulnerable position to miss a touch call.In fact I had such a play tonight.I know I need to stay with the ball longer and then get into a position to call the line-How do I do that?

Today I did a better job of getting behind the server instead of going endline extended although I would start at endline extended,catch myself,then move back to the right spot.

One of our area evaluators was there and told me about these habits but he had to go home and submit his report.Another question-this time regarding libero jersey compliance: If the home team's uniform is black would you consider a dark purple uniform to be of acceptable contrast?

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Wed Oct 17, 2012 at 12:36am.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
For both, get used to going "station to station" quickly, getting ahead of the ball, but making sure you see the touches you need to see. Easier said than done, I know, but with enough practice it will get easier.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:11pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
Another question-this time regarding libero jersey compliance: If the home team's uniform is black would you consider a dark purple uniform to be of acceptable contrast?
Nope. Black and dark purple are NOT contrasting. I hate refs who either don't know the uniform rules or don't care to enforce them. I'll bet that the team has been told at least once that they are illegal, but still keep trotting it out each match.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Felix-by station to station I presume you mean start at the net and then once it clears the block get into position to call the line? Am I correct?
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Felix-by station to station I presume you mean start at the net and then once it clears the block get into position to call the line? Am I correct?
Blockers, passers, line.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks-I'll try that in my next match!
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a lines assignment last night for a Jr College match. I was thinking about your question about seeing touches then jugding the line.

One thing that seems to help me is warming up my eyes pre-match.

I don't know if you do this or not, but I have found it helpful.

When the team that will be in the opposite court from you as a line judge is in a hitting line as part of their warm ups, go to your LJ position and watch the balls as they are hit and determine if they would be in or out. I also try to hesitiate to simulate watching for a touch by a blocker, then moving my eyes to the area the ball will land. This helps get you in a good frame to handle your LJ responsibiities.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Andy! I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my lines,I was the same way as a scorekeeper,and I'm sure it will help me as an official next year.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

And if that doesn't work, try a shock collar!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Felix-going station to station worked like a charm in my most recent match on Tuesday night.I worked a varsity boys match that went 4 sets as a linesman and had a much eaasier time getting the touches around the net that I needed to.

Andy-for the first time as a linesman I actually observed the hitting periods and it helped immensly.