The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Clock habits

So, going into my second season of JUCO ball, one of my focus points as an official is to get better at knowing where the clock (something I do an ok job of with hs, but I need to be much more consistent) and shot clock are on every whistle. I have an intra squad game tomorrow night that will be a great opportunity to work on this so here's what I'm asking of you veterans. I have it drilled into my head since I first became an official that you make eye contact with your partners every time you hear a whistle or blow yours. Do you folks look at the clock before or after you make your eye contact? I'm trying to get a clear order in my mind so I can really focus on doing it every time. Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Do you folks look at the clock before or after you make your eye contact? I'm trying to get a clear order in my mind so I can really focus on doing it every time. Thanks.
Table, clocks, partners, ball in play.

I also steal a glance at the clocks if possible when there's not much going on in my area, not just on a whistle. A good time to do this is when you're rotating from T to C, but it's not limited to then only.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm old, but not a long time veteran (5 years), but this is something I've also put an emphasis on this year (actually starting in camps last summer).

When one of my partners blows the whistle, I take a quick look at the clock (note the time and make sure it has stopped). Then I'll make sure my partners and I know what's going on (foul or violation).

When I blow my whistle and I hear another one, too, then I am first looking at my partners to see what they've got (don't want to have a blarge), then I'll check the clock.

It's becoming a habit and I don't have to think about it much anymore (in fact, it feels odd writing the sequence out). Think about how focused we are on the clock in the last minute of a period or game. We are always aware of the time and who has the clock (at least we should be). It's the same thing without thinking about who has the clock.

Hope this helps.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Table, clocks, partners, ball in play.

I also steal a glance at the clocks if possible when there's not much going on in my area, not just on a whistle. A good time to do this is when you're rotating from T to C, but it's not limited to then only.
Thanks Dan. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now you brought up looking at the table first. That's new for me. What are you looking for? Just making eye contact? I'd just never heard of this part.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

This is a good topic...an are that I will admit I'm not good at...or I guess I should say not consistent at...It's an area of focus that I could use some work on Hey, I got plenty of games to put it into practice!
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Dan. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now you brought up looking at the table first. That's new for me. What are you looking for? Just making eye contact? I'd just never heard of this part.
Subs. Confusion or concern on the part of the table people. If on the air to make sure we're good to go. That kind of stuff.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Dan has a great point. I was also taught to look at the table at every dead ball for substitutions. I forgot to mention that. It is definitely a good habit to get in to.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Subs. Confusion or concern on the part of the table people. If on the air to make sure we're good to go. That kind of stuff.
I may certainly be wrong here, but I think the original poster is asking about checking the clock when he stops play, not when he's ready to put the ball back in play.

I would certainly check the table for subs before putting the ball back in play, but my first look is never at the table when I'm stopping play. I usually get my shooter first, then get the clock. If there's no shot in the play, I will try to check the clock immediately.

Sometimes there's confusion about what's being called with a double whistle, and then sometimes I am more concerned with making sure I'm on the same page as my partner before I check the clock.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I may certainly be wrong here, but I think the original poster is asking about checking the clock when he stops play, not when he's ready to put the ball back in play.

I would certainly check the table for subs before putting the ball back in play, but my first look is never at the table when I'm stopping play. I usually get my shooter first, then get the clock. If there's no shot in the play, I will try to check the clock immediately.

Sometimes there's confusion about what's being called with a double whistle, and then sometimes I am more concerned with making sure I'm on the same page as my partner before I check the clock.
Yes, I was talking about stopping play. That's why I asked about the table. My fault for not being specific in the OP. You'd think I'd know to be specific by now.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You're right, I was thinking in terms of putting the ball back in play.

When the whistle blows focus on the players then grab the clocks.

Certainly no need to look at the table on a whistle.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
So, going into my second season of JUCO ball, one of my focus points as an official is to get better at knowing where the clock (something I do an ok job of with hs, but I need to be much more consistent) and shot clock are on every whistle.
You mean the clocks move around during the game!?!?!?!?

Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You mean the clocks move around during the game!?!?!?!?

By moving around are you talking about the hands on the game clock going in a circle back when you starting officiating?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 01:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
By moving around are you talking about the hands on the game clock going in a circle back when you starting officiating?
No - when I started, all the games were outdoors because all we had were sundials.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I bet the uniform points of emphasis were much easier to enforce in the sun dial era. I think I'd stick to working women's games under those.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 03:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I bet the uniform points of emphasis were much easier to enforce in the sun dial era. I think I'd stick to working women's games under those.
Loin cloth restrictions?

I know I'm going to regret this one.