The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just curious how different people study the rule book, case book.

How do you keep yourself interested in it, retain it, etc.....

I get going on it for about 2 weeks then burn out.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Believe it or not, I read em' every year (rules, simplified rules, case book and officials manual). I work out every day and I go through them while I ride the stairclimber or bike. I use a highlighter for stuff that seems to have got confused or forgotten (or added or changed) from the previous year.

Z
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I go over anything new several times to digest it, then I will read through the rule book by section and tie in the case book plays for it.

After that I'll go through it again like that during the season, and whenever something comes up in a game.

I always suggest to younger officials to learn it in sections, otherwise they'll get overwhelmed.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 06:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

I work 3 sports. I do not read all rulebooks.

I will first look over the new rules and all the revisions to start with.

When I take the test, I look up every single answer in for the test and list the place I can find the answer.

I then just start reading the casebook and all the situations that I might be unclear with or that the rules might have changed a ruling.

I will always reread the definitions.

As the meetings start, I will think of more situations to review.

This site is always a great place to think of unusual situations.

Now when the season starts, I will read mostly the casebook.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

I use a software program called ARS(?). You can review by rule, situation, year of exam, etc. I "test" myself usually every day as I eat my PBJ. I also read the rulebook, casebook, and officials manual. Sometimes, I will "re-take" some older tests.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Have your rule book and case book with you when you visit this site. You'll be surprised how much you learn by looking up the situations presented in this forum. Especially when you look up rules that you thought you "knew".
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Study? What's that???

Just before the season starts, I usually read at least some of the rule/case books. I rarely read cover to cover. However, I frequently reference the books to look things up.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

My best advice, find old exams, go through them, and answer each question with a rules reference.

You'll be surprised when you're in the middle of a game, and one of the test situations pops up and then you'll know exactly what to do.

Also, watch games that other officials are doing, talk to veteran or officials that work high levels, and go to meetings.

If ever you come across a situation you can't figure out, go to the rule book and find a reference, or post it on here, and the vets of the forum seem to be more than willing to help newer officials. I know that the guys on this forum have given me so much help with rules study and odd plays.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
My best advice, find old exams, go through them, and answer each question with a rules reference.
If you are going to do that, you might as well use the Athletic Rules Study Program.

BTW, the website is back up. Or you can order online thru Referee Magazine or NASO.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Teach!

By the end of the season, my rule book has been read from cover to cover. I usually do the same for my mechanics manual early in the season. Casebook in combination with the rulebook, I use throughout the season as situations arise. Don't know that I have ever covered the entire casebook; it is valuable but dizzying. A couple pages of the casebook at a time can keep me thinking for quite awhile.

This site during the season is incredible. Have your reference materials situated next to your computer and reference them continuously. As you well know after reviewing these threads, you get both answers and the only was to ensure yourself of the correct answer is to pull out your books and prove it to yourself.

Read, read, read, study, study, study, all of the time.

Ooohh and as I do this, I always take the attitude that I am going to share this information or instruct someone. That's when you learn it; when you can explain it to someone else and defend your answers.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Teach!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

This site during the season is incredible.
Not always, there are times when it's quite credible.

Not often, but enough.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:28pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Teach!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Not often, but enough.
Ah, another cunning linguist emerges.

No gif posted.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Teach!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Not often, but enough.

No gif posted.
Speaking of that...

A newly married sailor was informed by the Navy that he was going to be stationed a long way from home on a remote island in the Pacific for a year. A few weeks after he got there he began to miss his new wife, so he wrote her a letter. "My love," he wrote, "we are going to be apart for a very long time. Already I'm starting to miss you and there's really not much to do here in the evenings. Besides that we're constantly surrounded by young attractive native girls. Do you think if I had a hobby of some kind I would not be tempted?" So his wife sent him back a harmonica saying, "Why don't you learn to play this?" Eventually his tour of duty came to an end and he rushed back to his wife. "Darling" he said, "I can't wait to get you into bed so that we make passionate love!" She kissed him and said, "First let's see you play that harmonica."
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Teach!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[B]
Quote:

Not often, but enough.

No gif posted.
Thank heaven for small favors!
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Speaking of that...

[/B][/QUOTE] A guy is sitting beside an attractive, older lady in an airplane. All of a sudden, she lets out a tremendous sneeze, gently wipes her nose with a kleenex and then shudders violently for about 15 seconds. A few minutes later, she lets out another sneeze, again gently wipes her nose with a kleenex, and then yet again immediately shudders violently for about 15 seconds. Again, a few minutes after that, a repeat performance -sneeze-->wipe nose-->shudder. The guy says to her "Excuse me, but you seem to be having a problem. Are you allergic to something, or is there anything that I can do?" The lady replies "Oh no, it's not an allergy. I have this very rare medical condition. Every time that I sneeze, I have an orgasm". The guy, kinda taken aback by this, shakes his head and says to her "Uh...that's..uh..different. Are you taking anything for it?" She replied "I sure am. Pepper!"

Screwed up another thread, didn't we?