The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   How do I break these habits? (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/92680-how-do-i-break-these-habits.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:26am

How do I break these habits?

Hey All,
Worked a varsity match tonight as a linesman that went 4 sets and I need some advice on how to break a couple of bad habits-

A.When I have a ball that is barely going to catch the endline I have a tendancy to drift off the line and follow it down instead of staying straight up but turning and following it down.

B.When I have a swing from the back row I have a tendancy to leave the net and get into position to call the line leaving myself in a vulnerable position to miss a touch call.In fact I had such a play tonight.I know I need to stay with the ball longer and then get into a position to call the line-How do I do that?

Today I did a better job of getting behind the server instead of going endline extended although I would start at endline extended,catch myself,then move back to the right spot.

One of our area evaluators was there and told me about these habits but he had to go home and submit his report.Another question-this time regarding libero jersey compliance: If the home team's uniform is black would you consider a dark purple uniform to be of acceptable contrast?

Thanks for the responses!

FMadera Wed Oct 17, 2012 03:51pm

For both, get used to going "station to station" quickly, getting ahead of the ball, but making sure you see the touches you need to see. Easier said than done, I know, but with enough practice it will get easier.

MCBear Wed Oct 17, 2012 04:11pm

Quote:

Another question-this time regarding libero jersey compliance: If the home team's uniform is black would you consider a dark purple uniform to be of acceptable contrast?
Nope. Black and dark purple are NOT contrasting. I hate refs who either don't know the uniform rules or don't care to enforce them. I'll bet that the team has been told at least once that they are illegal, but still keep trotting it out each match.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Oct 17, 2012 07:57pm

Felix-by station to station I presume you mean start at the net and then once it clears the block get into position to call the line? Am I correct?

FMadera Thu Oct 18, 2012 06:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 858808)
Felix-by station to station I presume you mean start at the net and then once it clears the block get into position to call the line? Am I correct?

Blockers, passers, line.

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51am

Thanks-I'll try that in my next match!

Andy Thu Oct 18, 2012 02:21pm

I had a lines assignment last night for a Jr College match. I was thinking about your question about seeing touches then jugding the line.

One thing that seems to help me is warming up my eyes pre-match.

I don't know if you do this or not, but I have found it helpful.

When the team that will be in the opposite court from you as a line judge is in a hitting line as part of their warm ups, go to your LJ position and watch the balls as they are hit and determine if they would be in or out. I also try to hesitiate to simulate watching for a touch by a blocker, then moving my eyes to the area the ball will land. This helps get you in a good frame to handle your LJ responsibiities.

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Oct 18, 2012 05:20pm

Thanks Andy! I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my lines,I was the same way as a scorekeeper,and I'm sure it will help me as an official next year.

oldsetter Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40pm

And if that doesn't work, try a shock collar! :D

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12am

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Felix-going station to station worked like a charm in my most recent match on Tuesday night.I worked a varsity boys match that went 4 sets as a linesman and had a much eaasier time getting the touches around the net that I needed to.

Andy-for the first time as a linesman I actually observed the hitting periods and it helped immensly.