The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

NFHS mechanics questions

Ok I worked with a more experienced official over the weekend and saw a couple of differences in mechanics that I wondered about.
1) as the up official he would give the substitution signal everytime there was a substitute. I have done this if my R2 didn't notice someone come up to the substitution zone, but he would signal on every sub sometimes even after I had blown the whistle. Is this the correct procedure?

2) I know that the R2 is not to mirror net serve calls (server hits the ball into the net and the ball stays on their side of the court), just mirror the point signal to the other team. When this official was R2 he would not mirror any serve violations. So if the ball was hit out of bounds he did not mirror the out signal, just the point signal. Is this the correct procedure??

As the title indicates I am really interested in the correct NFHS answers for these two situations since this is what I call. But would be interested if these are used in other rule sets.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
1) as the up official he would give the substitution signal everytime there was a substitute. I have done this if my R2 didn't notice someone come up to the substitution zone, but he would signal on every sub sometimes even after I had blown the whistle. Is this the correct procedure?
Yes.

Quote:
2) I know that the R2 is not to mirror net serve calls (server hits the ball into the net and the ball stays on their side of the court), just mirror the point signal to the other team. When this official was R2 he would not mirror any serve violations. So if the ball was hit out of bounds he did not mirror the out signal, just the point signal. Is this the correct procedure??
No.

Quote:
As the title indicates I am really interested in the correct NFHS answers for these two situations since this is what I call. But would be interested if these are used in other rule sets.
These apply to all rule sets.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you would post this. Last week in a college match the R2 was mad at me for 'stealing' the subs. i am very careful as a R1 to allow the R2 to initiate all subs and timeouts. What they were referring to was me mimicking them on the sub signal - like the R1 is supposed to. I don't know where people get these ideas. this ref has been working since the 70's. I don't recall this ever being any other way.