The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:07pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Libero Replacement Issues - USAV

Quote:
From: USA Volleyball Referee Training and Education Interpretations-Rules and Techniques

Libero Replacement Issues
March 15th, 2009
No comments

I have observed many libero replacement issues being handled differently (and often incorrectly) by officials. The DCR doesn’t do a great job of addressing some libero situations, and I think there is a fair amount of confusion (especially with those who work multiple rule sets). Perhaps a number of different scenarios, such as the following, could be addressed:

1. Libero (or replaced player) enter/leave outside of the replacement zone.
2. Libero replaced by a player other than whom s/he replaced.
3. Libero replaced by a player other than whom s/he replaced, and whom the coach immediately wants to substitute out.
4. Two replacements (in/out) during the same dead ball.
5. A team attempts a double replacement (like NCAA/NFHS) where two non-libero players replace each other with the libero going back to RB to serve.
6. The libero enters the set and serves.
I will say what I would do, but I would like some feedback as to whether I am correct or not.

#1 - TDW, I believe, although our Referee Chair says that it is an IR (I think she is wrong, but I would like some documentation).
#2 -Illegal substitution - penalized with LOR and line-up is corrected (15.9.2)
#3 - Illegal substitution (16.1.3)
#4 - Team Delay, I believe (?)
#5 - TDW since the Libero failed to sit out one rally (19.3.2.1)
#6 - Legal replacement, Illegal server upon contact with the ball. The Libero may replace any back-row player so nothing illegal occurs until the Libero serves. (19.3.1.1)

Thanks.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
In USAV, we do not intervene with a team delay on libero replacement issues, with the exception of the replacement not taking place in the libero zone, and you should warn on this before assessing a TDW. LOR at the contact of serve. NCAA would be different.

Bringing the wrong player on for the libero is an illegal replacement, not an illegal substitution. Again, contact of serve, loss of rally.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 11:20am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Thanks, Felix. Just shows how much I have NOT been allowed to ref using USAV rules this year. I forgot that we wait for contact.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)