View Single Post
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:07pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Libero Replacement Issues - USAV

Quote:
From: USA Volleyball Referee Training and Education Interpretations-Rules and Techniques

Libero Replacement Issues
March 15th, 2009
No comments

I have observed many libero replacement issues being handled differently (and often incorrectly) by officials. The DCR doesn’t do a great job of addressing some libero situations, and I think there is a fair amount of confusion (especially with those who work multiple rule sets). Perhaps a number of different scenarios, such as the following, could be addressed:

1. Libero (or replaced player) enter/leave outside of the replacement zone.
2. Libero replaced by a player other than whom s/he replaced.
3. Libero replaced by a player other than whom s/he replaced, and whom the coach immediately wants to substitute out.
4. Two replacements (in/out) during the same dead ball.
5. A team attempts a double replacement (like NCAA/NFHS) where two non-libero players replace each other with the libero going back to RB to serve.
6. The libero enters the set and serves.
I will say what I would do, but I would like some feedback as to whether I am correct or not.

#1 - TDW, I believe, although our Referee Chair says that it is an IR (I think she is wrong, but I would like some documentation).
#2 -Illegal substitution - penalized with LOR and line-up is corrected (15.9.2)
#3 - Illegal substitution (16.1.3)
#4 - Team Delay, I believe (?)
#5 - TDW since the Libero failed to sit out one rally (19.3.2.1)
#6 - Legal replacement, Illegal server upon contact with the ball. The Libero may replace any back-row player so nothing illegal occurs until the Libero serves. (19.3.1.1)

Thanks.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)