The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Libero Replacement During Timeout

Ran into our first snag of the year with the Libero serving. For Team A - #20 was on the court when Team B called a time-out. At the end of the timeout #20 was now on the bench with #24 now playing in the front row and the Libero serving. The two regular players should have made an exchange in the Libero zone, but the time-out prevented this from happening. I followed without a problem, however, there was no player exchange in the Libero zone before or after the time-out...the new player just came on and took her position after the time-out.

What should be the correct process for this exchange? Should they make the exchange before leaving the court for a time-out? Should they make the exchange after the time-out? Or should they simply inform the umpire that they will be changing during the time-out? What's the correct procedure here?

How have you college guys handled this?
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Ran into our first snag of the year with the Libero serving. For Team A - #20 was on the court when Team B called a time-out. At the end of the timeout #20 was now on the bench with #24 now playing in the front row and the Libero serving.
It sounds like you have a substitution (#24 for #20 in the front row) and a libero replacement (in the server's position).

If so, the normal replacement procedure should've taken place after the completion of the time-out, I believe. (NCAA 11.2.3.2.6: "All substitution requests made immediately before, during or immediately after a timeout are administered at the end of the timeout".)

The libero replacement may only occur at the end of a rally or at the start of a game (12.2.2.1), and may never occur during a timeout (12.2.2.2).
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Ah yes, the famous phantom replacement. Correct procedure is to do this after the time out.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout. Technically, this would be an incorrect replacement, and subject to unnecessary delay, though preventive officiating would easily take care of it.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:43pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Blueump, the correct procedure is that the exchange takes place following the time-out. The six players who were on the court when the time-out was called return to the court. Then, the libero goes directly to right back, the left front #24 replaces the libero (entering between the attack line and end line) while the right front #20 leaves the court between the attack line and the end line going to the bench.

As Felix pointed out, when the replacements took place during the time-out, the team committed an illegal libero replacement. An Unnecessary Delay Time-out is assessed, the libero must leave the game and the player whom the libero replaced (#20) will come back into the game and have to serve. After one rally, the libero can replace anyone in the back row, including the server.

Scrapper, when the libero is involved, you NEVER have a substitution. It is always a replacement.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 08:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
the normal replacement procedure should've taken place after the completion of the time-out, I believe. (NCAA 11.2.3.2.6: "All substitution requests made immediately before, during or immediately after a timeout are administered at the end of the timeout".)

The libero replacement may only occur at the end of a rally or at the start of a game (12.2.2.1), and may never occur during a timeout (12.2.2.2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
The replacements are to take place at the end of the timeout.
Woo-hoo!! I was right! In two different threads!!
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
...though preventive officiating would easily take care of it.
Just curious how? Nobody "controls" who runs back and forth between the libero replacement zone, except the assistant scorekeeper. Just wondering what you think we could have done to prevent this "hidden" exchange from happening during the time-out???
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Just curious how? Nobody "controls" who runs back and forth between the libero replacement zone, except the assistant scorekeeper. Just wondering what you think we could have done to prevent this "hidden" exchange from happening during the time-out???
Me (as umpire, to assistant scorekeeper, during timeout): "Is the libero on or off the court on your right?"

AS: "Off."

(Libero comes onto the court)

Me: "Coach, your replacement has to take place AFTER the timeout is over. Please put your regular player back on the court until the timeout is over."

(Players switch)

Now I whistle to officially end the timeout, and they may now replace legally.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 09:28am.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:00pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
That's it, Felix! Way to go!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)