The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 07:28am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Thumbs up ICE - In Case of Emergency...

I know this doesn't have anything to do with volleyball, but please take the time to read this anyway. It may be very important to you and/or your family at some time in the future...

Quote:
Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone...

"ICE" - "In Case of Emergency"

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.?

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number(s) to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number(s) you have stored as "ICE".

For more than one contact name simply enter "ICE1", "ICE2" and "ICE3", etc. This is a great idea that can make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of "ICE"' by storing "ICE" numbers in our Mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

"ICE" will speak for you when you may not be able to.
....As an aside...I had already programmed my daughters phone numbers into my phone as "ICE1" and "ICE2" and used them after I fractured my right ankle on 9/11. It was a lot easier to use since they were both in the same location on my phone (ICE1 and ICE2) than having to bring up their numbers by their individual names (Amy and Gaye).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great idea. My phone comes with ICE as an automatic contact. There is also room in the contact info to put a note ie. who this person is and why they are the ICE contact.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 06:21am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Just FYI--if you put "0-ICE" on your phone--that's a numeric zero--the listing comes up at the top of the Contacts list. This was given to me by a fellow official and it works GREAT!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)