The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Request for an Emergency Rule Change

Apparently, the players are being heard.

Members of the ASA council are receiving notices that they will be receiving a ballot requesting the rule change adjusting the batter's box for SP softball to 4'X7' be declared void.

I believe this rule change will be reversed and the box will remain 3'X7' for ASA slowpitch (excluding 16").
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting (that is, in a procedural sort of way). I have a question, though, not being a slow pitch guy.

Why do the players care? (i.e. What is the issue?)
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Interesting (that is, in a procedural sort of way). I have a question, though, not being a slow pitch guy.

Why do the players care? (i.e. What is the issue?)
It allows the batter more room to stand back and take the inside pitch up the middle. DON'T SCREAM AT ME, that's what I've heard from the players. It also gives the batter more room to wander and, possibly, walk into the pitch which, I guess, could provide a high exit speed for the batted ball.

Again, just what the players have stated. Personally, I thought it was a waste of time and an unnecessary change. Apparently, the players believe it was a safety issue.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
... the batter's box for SP softball ...
They got batter's boxes in slow pitch? Wow. I never noticed.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Now that Mike has answered the question, "Why do the players care (ie: what is the issue)?", I have to ask, "Why was this changed in the first place?".

Interestingly, the comments on the ASA rule change document state that this rule change was "requested by the players for the betterment of the slow pitch game"!

Oy vey!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Now that Mike has answered the question, "Why do the players care (ie: what is the issue)?", I have to ask, "Why was this changed in the first place?".

Interestingly, the comments on the ASA rule change document state that this rule change was "requested by the players for the betterment of the slow pitch game"!

Oy vey!
You need to remember that rule change proposals, though signed off by a voting council member, often come from the local ranks. If I remember correctly, this proposal came from an area where 16" ball (which changed last year) is prominent. The person signing off on the proposal can only take the word of the person offering the change. And it may be true that the players in that person's area did ask for the change.