Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Exclamation

Attn: All Refs

I NEED HELP!!!!

For those of you that do not know me, I referee a local recreational league. I had an incident last week about a fight over rules.

Situation 1: I place the ball in the hands of R1 who has a legal throw in, then she passes it off to R2 who is out of bounds and then throws it in. I whistle still red ball because of yellow being within 3 feet of red (stupid rule that rec. league enforces), my partner comes across the court and changes my call. He says you cant run the baseline with the ball but the girl passed it. I felt very embarassed. I know that we cant change each others calls. I have been reffing longer then he has and i am still mad at him...

Please help - what is the rule for the throw in... and what should i do about my partner. (I have to ref with him)

-THANKS
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You say, "You're right, thanks. But I had a violation on yellow, before the throw-in violation."
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Can you tell me the rule on the throw in ------ was it a violation?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If it was a designated spot throw-in, then yes, it was a violation. The ball must be released directly onto the court. And the inbounder must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot until the ball is released.

If the throw-in was after a made or awarded basket, then it was not a violation. The throw-in in that case can be made from anywhere along the endline.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If it was a designated spot throw-in, then yes, it was a violation. The ball must be released directly onto the court. And the inbounder must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot until the ball is released.
Furthermore, only one player is allowed out-of-bounds on a spot throw in, and the ball must be released directly onto the court. So you've got three different violations in one little pass.

Did your partner SEE the yellow violation, and think that the throw-in violation happened first? Or is he just trying to be the alpha dog here?

Next time a partner comes in with a different opinion from yours, you can say, "I'm sure my call happened first" if you need to insist on being right. You only need to take your partner's information as helpful, if you want to change your call for whatever reason. If he gets too pushy, either change your call, or just get the ball inbounds, and then argue about it in the locker room.