The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Something happened during one of my games last week. My area, trail. A1 tries a 3pt attempt from the corner, and B1 is prepared to legally box him out. As A1 is moving forward during the shot, A1 lands on the feet of B1, which almost results in a bunch of twisted ankles. All was okay and played on.

My question is, is there a foul there? My lack of knowledge caused me to choke my whistle, because to my understanding, A1 has a right to legally land AND B1 has a right to legally be in the spot he was in. But my concern was the safety of the shooter.

What should I have done? Any references in Rulebook, Casebook or Funnybook?? Thanks!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, so A1 shoots while jumping forward slightly. Once the shot is away, B1 turns to face the basket. A1 lands on B1's heels.

The question here is whether B1 moved out of his vertical space (toward A1) while A1 was in the air. If B1 simply turned around, then you've got nothing. B1 is entitled to be there, since he was legally there before A1 went airborne.

If B1 turned around and then started to back up, then you might consider a foul on B1. Without seeing the contact and the fall (might there have been some acting to attract your attention?), I can't say if it should be a foul or not. But if B1 backs up far enough to keep A1 from landing normally, thereby causing contact with A1, it could reasonably be a shooting foul.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Something happened during one of my games last week. My area, trail. A1 tries a 3pt attempt from the corner, and B1 is prepared to legally box him out. As A1 is moving forward during the shot, A1 lands on the feet of B1, which almost results in a bunch of twisted ankles. All was okay and played on.

My question is, is there a foul there? My lack of knowledge caused me to choke my whistle, because to my understanding, A1 has a right to legally land AND B1 has a right to legally be in the spot he was in. But my concern was the safety of the shooter.
B1 only has the right to the spot if B1 was there before A1 jumped. If B1 moved into that space after that time, any contact sufficient for a foul would be against B1.

Note that it doesn't require that B1 be stationary, just that B1 not move into A1's path/landing spot. B1 may be moving away from A1, even when A1 is airborne, or even towards a position that is out of A1's path.

Picture this...B1 (110#,5'5") standing perfectly still in the middle of the lane. A1 (235#,6'3") barreling down the court right down the middle of the lane. A1 jumps straight towards B1's chest. B1, not wanting to get hurts steps to the side. B1 is too slow to get completely out of the way and A1 still makes contact and knocks B1 to the floor...

What's the call? PC. B1 had LGP before the jump. B1 did not move to a position that would increase the contact or take away A1's path but actually moved to decrease the contact and partially out of the path.