The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

If a no show or something like,
What is the best way for one man to
do a game and what level just don't try?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"One man?" I think you're getting into the realm of women's work here. 0:
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Seriously? Talk to the coaches, and explain that you are going to call what you see, but that you won't necessarily catch everything. Work the whole game as Trail. Get done and get out.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

It sucks when that happens! I've only had it happen a couple of times.... once for a boys varsity jamboree.

"Coaches, I appear to be going this one solo. I'll do my best, but you know that we miss calls even when there are two of us, so I'm guessing I might miss a few by myself tonight. I'll work as hard as I can to get angles so please bear with me."

Both times it's happened, the coaches haven't said a word during the game and thanked me afterwards. If they are reasonable, they'll understand that it's an impossible task.

Z
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, I've got good news and bad news.

"The bad news is that I'm working alone tonight.

"The good news is that is won't be the worst partner I've had this year."

Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Take advantage of this opportunity to work "one man".

A Veteran once told me:

He showed up to do a Frosh game. That particular night there was also a J.V. game scheduled in the schools other gym. 3 officials 2 games. Well, this official was low man on the totem pole, so he got the Frosh game, all by himself, while the other two guys did the J.V. game.

The Athletic director told the official that he had done a better job doing "one man" than any two other officials all year. The next year the AD put the official on his Varsity list.

Look at these situations as oportunities...he did.

RD
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

one man crew

I've done MS girls (fall) and MS boys (winter) for about 15 years now. My AD told me a long time ago to not play any game w/o two officals. He said it puts the one present official in a liability spot. It's happened countless times and the opposing coach (and sometimes the one offical) have been less than happy with me for refusing to play. I just tell them it's not my call, just following the AD's directions.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think what you are looking for is where to stand. I've had a few and I just go from the top of the key to the top of the key. I'll move out to the side of the key lower if necessary.

Good Luck
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vincebradford'sboy71
If a no show or something like,
What is the best way for one man to
do a game and what level just don't try?
It stinks,but you do the best you can.I usually work it like I'm the C in 3 person,only in reverse,I stay low if the ball is my side or in the lane,then go to trail if it goes away.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

One man mechanics

First inform the captains and coaches that there will be no inbound play in the front cout on the end line. All will be on the side lines.
They won't like it but will live with it.

Then position your self out from the top of the key. You would be surprised that you will see most of the action. You a little side to side to move with the ball and occasionally you can step down on one side if needed.

During transition, move to the sideline and allow the players to pass, then position yourself out from the top of the key going the other way. On fast breaks, you can move with the ball like the C does, and stay away from the end line so you can observe all of the players.

I've had to do this several times and it works.
The good news is that you don't need to run a lot,

Hope this helps.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Damian,

I disagree. You put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds. Teams have set in-bounds plays depending on where the ball comes in. You can change referee mechanics and positioning, but I don't think you should change the rules of the game. I'd just bounce the ball to the thrower from the free throw-line extended and put the ball in play where it's supposed to be.

As far as not needing to run a lot. ?????? You may only be going FT line to FT line, but you're always responsible for every breakaway so there is plenty of running and then some if you're working at it.

Z
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
As far as not needing to run a lot. ?????? You may only be going FT line to FT line, but you're always responsible for every breakaway so there is plenty of running and then some if you're working at it.

Z
Not only that, you're also going from side to side as the ball goes back and forth and inside to get the best vantage point. I think working a game alone is quite a bit more running than working with a partner.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
originally posted by coachgrd
It's happened countless times and the opposing coach (and sometimes the one offical) have been less than happy with me for refusing to play
How bout' the parents who took time off work to see little Johnny or Susie play?
JMO...but I think this AD is being over paranoid.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 08:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Zebraman, I have a little problem with bouncing the ball from the free throw line extended if it's one man. What do you do if a kid gets in the way of the ball as you're bouncing it to the thrower? Do you T him up or give a throw-in warning or what? Or tell everyone to stay out of the way till the ball's in the thrower's hand? What I've done is go down to the end line, and stand on the corner and bounce it all the way from there then slide back up to the free throw line extended as I'm doing the throw-in count. Sounds awkward, but prevents any problems with the bounce and gives you a "moving" view of the throw-in situation.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have had to work a couple of games solo this year. Here is what I have found to work best for me. As others have said, work free throw line to free throw line. I stay on the sideline opposite table. I give the same speach to the coaches as others have already stated. I also tell them that if I get screened on a OOB on "their" sideline, and they are not in agreement as to who last touched, then we go AP. I only tell them this incase it is an obvious play that everyone else in the gym saw but me.

Hustle your @$$ off and try to give them the absolute best game you can.

In our association it is required (I think it is a state rule FHSAA) that a varsity game must have two officials. Otherwise I will work any game that the coaches agree to haveing one official. BTW almost without exception, the coaches (even the howlers) have become as quiet as a church mouse as far as saying anything to me during the game.