The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Mechanic Question

R3 hits the 3rd contact into the net. The ball rebounds out of the next and lands out of bounds on team R side. I know in PAVO, the signal is out of bounds. I thought the signal is the same in NFHS and USAV but I cannot find a reference in either of those rule books. Can someone confirm that the signal used for this situation is out of bounds and not touch for NFHS and USAV?
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
R3 hits the 3rd contact into the net. The ball rebounds out of the next and lands out of bounds on team R side. I know in PAVO, the signal is out of bounds. I thought the signal is the same in NFHS and USAV but I cannot find a reference in either of those rule books. Can someone confirm that the signal used for this situation is out of bounds and not touch for NFHS and USAV?
Out of bounds is the correct signal. (NFHS)

Page 87 of the casebook and officials manual.

14 Out of bounds:

* The ball goes into the net and lands out of bounds on the attackers side.

This is a call that can get a captain coming over to question the call, or a coach yelling from across the floor. The issue is normally when there is a blocker attempting to block the ball and the ball isn't blocked, hits the net and then lands out. When you give the out call on this, half the gym is going to think it was a block "out". Unfortunately there is no easy way to signal this as an official other than which side is getting the point.

USAV "Out" simply refers to where the ball hit the floor. Since it hit outside the line, the out call is made. No special mention is made of how it got to that point.

Last edited by chapmaja; Tue Mar 19, 2019 at 09:39am.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Chap, thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was correct but I couldn't find it in the books. I know I confuse a lot of partners with this call in addition to coaches when the ball hits off the top of the tape. I see a lot of refs at all levels use the touch call on this. I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct signal all all the levels.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This is a call that can get a captain coming over to question the call, or a coach yelling from across the floor. The issue is normally when there is a blocker attempting to block the ball and the ball isn't blocked, hits the net and then lands out. When you give the out call on this, half the gym is going to think it was a block "out". Unfortunately there is no easy way to signal this as an official other than which side is getting the point.
If there's a question to whom it's off, signal out of bounds, then point to whom it was off. Similar to an antenna fault where there's a question of whom the fault is off.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Tue Mar 19, 2019 at 10:37am.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
If there's a question to whom it's off, signal out of bounds, then point to whom it was off. Similar to an antenna fault where there's a question of whom the fault is off.
Thanks for the tip Felix!