The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Non-Contrasting Libero Uniform

Why do officials (and coaches) seem to have no concept of the definition of contrasting? In this case, it was among the biggest of big shots (both R1 and R2).

I tried to attach a good image, but apparently attachments aren't allowed by those that operate these forums. Instead, here's a link (with a low-quality image) from another site:

http://114.imagebam.com/download/TSS...6/Untitled.jpg

Thoughts?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

It's the regular gray uniforms of UCLA that are at issue, right?

(e.g. http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla-wom...regional-final

or

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla-wom...s-southern-cal

)

I thought I read from another discussion that the questionable libero top was of similar color to the spandex (and presumably other team jersey tops), which would be more debatable than some television shots would indicate. I honestly couldn't say if that was contrasting (but don't get paid to purchase uniforms or officiate under most rule sets). If the potentially offending jersey matches the blue spandex, play on or not?

But, I also wonder why a pink jersey is present in both of the shots I pulled up online with these uniforms in use in other matches.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Not sure about the coaching staff at UCLA, but I know for certain that many coaches will try to get away with stuff like this in an effort to create a (typically very small) advantage for their team.

The instant they get called for it, they have the contrasting uniform in a bag.

I suspect that UCLA has several other uniforms that the libero could have worn. Unfortunately, the officials on the match decided to ignore the rule, which stipulates that the uniforms must be contrasting. Not visually different. Not noticeably different. Contrasting.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

The NCAA Secretary-Rules Editor for Volleyball is aware of the questionable uniform for UCLA. She has numerous messages in her email mailbox asking the same question as the OP.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

There is ZERO advantage gained by having a jersey not as contrasting as someone else. And contrasting is in the eye of the beholder. Given that this is a college, the NCAA itself (not the referee of the day) is going to be the final arbiter... but if referees can tell the difference from 25 feet away, it's not going to be an issue, even if it's hard to see on a side view on television.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

I completely disagree that there is no advantage gained by having a non-contrasting libero uniform.

If the libero sets the ball in front of the attack line with a very similar color, it may not be immediately noticed by the referees.

The purpose of the contrasting uniform is so that it can be immediately recognized with peripheral vision.

The referee *IS* the arbiter of this at the match site. The referee may not always be correct. "The NCAA is the final arbiter." Huh? "The NCAA" doesn't make any decisions. People acting on behalf of the NCAA make the decisions. Again, those people are not always correct (as in this case).

The definition of contrasting is NOT in the eye of the beholder. The definition is clear...Definition of contrast: Strikingly different.

Very simply, royal blue and baby blue are not contrasting.

Contrasting Colors:
What Are Contrasting Colors?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

So ... you are the NCAA Rules Committee Interpretor now?

That is not the purpose of the contrasting jersey. You're on this board, so I'm going to assume you referee... you KNOW who the libero is, and picking them out when they set near the 10 foot line is easy. Further ... this call happens incredibly rarely, as any libero anywhere near the line bump-sets the ball. No one is trying to get away with this call... the advantage gained is minimal in contrast to the easy in making the call and the penalty for getting caught. (I ask you in all seriousness when the last time you called this was... for me it was, I believe, 4 seasons ago in week one after a normal libero was replaced due to injury and the other girl simply didn't know the rule... I doubt this is called an average of once a year at the college level in all college games combined)

Teams (esp Div 1) announce in advance what uniforms are being worn. The NCAA would have told them in advance if what they were wearing was not in compliance. The NCAA ... not your dictionary ... determines the definition of this rulebook term with respect to the game they oversee.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Simply looking for some friendly debate/discussion, not trying to upset those that reinterpret the rules. I certainly didn't make any claim to be the NCAA Rules Interpreter, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned?

The rule specifically states "contrast." It doesn't say, "as long as you can see the difference" or "as long as you know who the libero is." Perhaps I have the reasons behind the rule completely wrong (I don't think I do, but maybe)...but the rule is the rule.

I don't like all rules. I would amend some others. However, I do my best to enforce the rules as written. What other rules should we reinterpret to suit what we think they should be, since they happen rarely? What other words in the rule book should we redefine for our own convenience?

Locally, I know of many times that the team intentionally wears non-contrasting uniforms. In some cases, it's simply because the libero likes one over the other. In other cases, it's gamesmanship. Testing to see if the officials will enforce the rule.

I personally know a coach (in another state) that intentionally does things to see if the referee(s) will enforce the rules. Examples:
  • Team has dark green (forest green) uniforms. Libero wears dark gray. They have a bright orange libero uniform, in case the referees decide to enforce the uniform rule as written.
  • Libero moves (near the end line, within 2-3 feet of the server) across the path of the server at the moment of serve. Libero does this at EVERY serve throughout the match.
  • Tells back row setter to dump an (unintentional) overpass early in the match to determine if referees know about alignment.

According to her, these are often not called/enforced. Sometimes it's because the referees are clueless. Sometimes, it's because the referee decided that their rules were better than those written in the rule book.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post

Locally, I know of many times that the team intentionally wears non-contrasting uniforms. In some cases, it's simply because the libero likes one over the other. In other cases, it's gamesmanship. Testing to see if the officials will enforce the rule.

I personally know a coach (in another state) that intentionally does things to see if the referee(s) will enforce the rules. Examples:
  • Team has dark green (forest green) uniforms. Libero wears dark gray. They have a bright orange libero uniform, in case the referees decide to enforce the uniform rule as written.
  • Libero moves (near the end line, within 2-3 feet of the server) across the path of the server at the moment of serve. Libero does this at EVERY serve throughout the match.
  • Tells back row setter to dump an (unintentional) overpass early in the match to determine if referees know about alignment.

According to her, these are often not called/enforced. Sometimes it's because the referees are clueless. Sometimes, it's because the referee decided that their rules were better than those written in the rule book.
This happens all the time at all levels. In the current USAVB National Referee Clinic, there is an entire section devoted to this topic because many referees do not call/enforce the rules in regard to back row attack/block. Is it because they choose not to enforce the rules or is it because they aren't aware of the positional alignment?

Having a libero in a clearly contrasting jersey is an aid to making the correct call. The game is getting faster and more athletic, and the coaches will use every thing available to them to gain an advantage.

In my area, about five years ago, a team had a libero jersey that had blue side panels and yellow front panels. The main jersey was solid blue with yellow trim, but a referee using peripheral vision would have a hard time finding the libero unless she was facing the referee. Everyone had problems with this team determining where the libero was at game speed. The coach knew this and used it for the team's advantage. Many illegal sets and attacks were missed because of the difficulty in quickly finding the libero from a side view. This was not a case of the officials choosing not to enforce a rule, but a case where the jerseys made enforcement very difficult
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
Is it because they choose not to enforce the rules or is it because they aren't aware of the positional alignment?
In my experience, it's both clueless/unskilled referees and referees that simply don't choose to enforce the rules as written, depending on the situation.

In the three scenarios mentioned above...
  • Libero Uniform. Mostly because the referee doesn't want to enforce the rule.
  • Screening. 50/50 between lack of rules knowledge and referee wanting to enforce the rule.
  • BRA/BRB. Mostly because referee is unable to track players / alignment. Typically due to inexperience. I know when I started, I had no idea at all. : - )
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my experience, it's both clueless/unskilled referees and referees that simply don't choose to enforce the rules as written, depending on the situation.

In the three scenarios mentioned above...
  • Libero Uniform. Mostly because the referee doesn't want to enforce the rule.
  • Screening. 50/50 between lack of rules knowledge and referee wanting to enforce the rule.
  • BRA/BRB. Mostly because referee is unable to track players / alignment. Typically due to inexperience. I know when I started, I had no idea at all. : - )
You talk like a coach. Are you a coach?

I don't know a single official who doesn't want to enforce the libero uniform rule. In fact (I referee, and I own a club), 3 years ago when my club changed jerseys, we had a plethora of referees at the beginning of the season enforcing a uniform rule against us when we thought we were compliant, but were borderline enough to bother the officials. (We changed jerseys within a couple of weeks). My point above, however, was that at the college level, these things are decided before the teams take the court. I rarely see a high school or club team come out with a libero jersey that is not contrasting enough who doesn't get called out on it immediately.

Screening --- 2 things. 95% of the coaches out there don't really know the rule, and what appears to be illegal is not. That said, this IS a difficult call from the R1's angle sometimes --- as it does happen that a screen that is in fact illegal doesn't necessarily appear that way from the side angle that the referee has.

BRA - you are likely correct on this one. Tracking who is back row at any time requires experience. 1st-3rd year officials have not developed mental systems for being aware of that. Good 2nd year refs and most 3rd year refs start to catch back row SETTERS and their illegal attacks, but have not yet figured out how to catch the other 1 or 2 players. I would not include libero illegal sets in this category though... most 1st year refs can see that --- and it's usually a lot easier on a player who is perpendicular with the net (like a setter would usually be) than one parallel with the net like a hitter would be.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On the Libero uniform, I strongly suspect this is not a college team you're talking about --- which is what I was disagreeing with early on. On a high school or club team, all that matters is that the referee him/herself (and the scorer's table) can tell the difference. If that referee decides he/she can tell the difference, he/she is not going to rule that combination illegal.

On the screen ... why do you think that action is illegal? This goes back to my point that most coaches don't know the screen rule. It does not say a player cannot walk in front of the server ... and the case plays on this subject never talk about a player way back near the server. Please re-read this rule.

On the set ... assuming this overpass is above the net, this is an easy call that all but the very newest of referees should be catching. This is specifically mentioned at referee clinics numerous times.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BRA/BRB. Mostly because referee is unable to track players / alignment. Typically due to inexperience. I know when I started, I had no idea at all. : - )
I resemble that remark.

I can (usually) tell / remember whether the setter is back- or front-row before the serve, but remembering it during play in time to make a judgment and ruling.... is a different story.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
On the Libero uniform, I strongly suspect this is not a college team you're talking about --- which is what I was disagreeing with early on. On a high school or club team, all that matters is that the referee him/herself (and the scorer's table) can tell the difference. If that referee decides he/she can tell the difference, he/she is not going to rule that combination illegal.
Which is in conflict with the rules. This is what causes trouble for the next crew that works a match for the team that wears royal blue and baby blue. "The ref in our last match let us wear it."

NFHS 4-2:
ART. 2
. . . The libero shall wear a uniform top that is immediately recognized from all angles as being in clear contrast to and distinct from the other members of the team.

Note that the rule doesn't state: "The libero uniform is acceptable if the referee(s) and scorer can tell the difference." Clear contrast is the measure. Nothing else.

Quote:
On the screen ... why do you think that action is illegal? This goes back to my point that most coaches don't know the screen rule. It does not say a player cannot walk in front of the server ... and the case plays on this subject never talk about a player way back near the server. Please re-read this rule.
When the rule definitively describes the action in question, a case is not needed to determine a violation. See bolded rule below.

Is this the rule that *I* should re-read?
NFHS Rule 6-5:
ART. 1 . . . Players on the serving team shall not take action to prevent receivers from seeing the contact of the serve or the path of the served ball.
ART. 2 . . . Potential screens exist, but are not limited to:
a. When a player(s) on the serving team waves arms, jumps, moves sideways or stands close to the server, and the ball is served over the player(s);
b. When a group of two or more players on the serving team stand close together, and the ball is served directly over them.
PENALTY: A loss of rally/point is awarded to the opponent.

The scenario I described had the libero (but could have been any player) doing exactly what is prohibited by rule. Moving or standing in directly in front (2-3 feet away) of the server at the time of serve EVERY TIME. Please explain how you can find this anything other than a screening violation, when officiating according to the rules?

Quote:
On the set ... assuming this overpass is above the net, this is an easy call that all but the very newest of referees should be catching. This is specifically mentioned at referee clinics numerous times.
I've worked in four different states and both attended and presented numerous training clinics / seminars. I have yet to find an official that didn't have significant coaching or playing experience be able to effectively track/call BRA/BRB early in their career as a VB official, no matter how many clinics they have attended. If you can direct me to an online clinic or curriculum that can help a new official do that (while first doing all of the more obvious R1/R2 duties), that will be greatly appreciated.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So ... you are the NCAA Rules Committee Interpretor now?

That is not the purpose of the contrasting jersey. You're on this board, so I'm going to assume you referee... you KNOW who the libero is, and picking them out when they set near the 10 foot line is easy. Further ... this call happens incredibly rarely, as any libero anywhere near the line bump-sets the ball. No one is trying to get away with this call... the advantage gained is minimal in contrast to the easy in making the call and the penalty for getting caught. (I ask you in all seriousness when the last time you called this was... for me it was, I believe, 4 seasons ago in week one after a normal libero was replaced due to injury and the other girl simply didn't know the rule... I doubt this is called an average of once a year at the college level in all college games combined)
My experience is different than yours. I've either made or seen that call made at D1, D2, and D3 matches this past season. Certainly at the high school level it is much more common.