View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
On the Libero uniform, I strongly suspect this is not a college team you're talking about --- which is what I was disagreeing with early on. On a high school or club team, all that matters is that the referee him/herself (and the scorer's table) can tell the difference. If that referee decides he/she can tell the difference, he/she is not going to rule that combination illegal.
Which is in conflict with the rules. This is what causes trouble for the next crew that works a match for the team that wears royal blue and baby blue. "The ref in our last match let us wear it."

NFHS 4-2:
ART. 2
. . . The libero shall wear a uniform top that is immediately recognized from all angles as being in clear contrast to and distinct from the other members of the team.

Note that the rule doesn't state: "The libero uniform is acceptable if the referee(s) and scorer can tell the difference." Clear contrast is the measure. Nothing else.

Quote:
On the screen ... why do you think that action is illegal? This goes back to my point that most coaches don't know the screen rule. It does not say a player cannot walk in front of the server ... and the case plays on this subject never talk about a player way back near the server. Please re-read this rule.
When the rule definitively describes the action in question, a case is not needed to determine a violation. See bolded rule below.

Is this the rule that *I* should re-read?
NFHS Rule 6-5:
ART. 1 . . . Players on the serving team shall not take action to prevent receivers from seeing the contact of the serve or the path of the served ball.
ART. 2 . . . Potential screens exist, but are not limited to:
a. When a player(s) on the serving team waves arms, jumps, moves sideways or stands close to the server, and the ball is served over the player(s);
b. When a group of two or more players on the serving team stand close together, and the ball is served directly over them.
PENALTY: A loss of rally/point is awarded to the opponent.

The scenario I described had the libero (but could have been any player) doing exactly what is prohibited by rule. Moving or standing in directly in front (2-3 feet away) of the server at the time of serve EVERY TIME. Please explain how you can find this anything other than a screening violation, when officiating according to the rules?

Quote:
On the set ... assuming this overpass is above the net, this is an easy call that all but the very newest of referees should be catching. This is specifically mentioned at referee clinics numerous times.
I've worked in four different states and both attended and presented numerous training clinics / seminars. I have yet to find an official that didn't have significant coaching or playing experience be able to effectively track/call BRA/BRB early in their career as a VB official, no matter how many clinics they have attended. If you can direct me to an online clinic or curriculum that can help a new official do that (while first doing all of the more obvious R1/R2 duties), that will be greatly appreciated.