View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
In my experience, it's both clueless/unskilled referees and referees that simply don't choose to enforce the rules as written, depending on the situation.

In the three scenarios mentioned above...
  • Libero Uniform. Mostly because the referee doesn't want to enforce the rule.
  • Screening. 50/50 between lack of rules knowledge and referee wanting to enforce the rule.
  • BRA/BRB. Mostly because referee is unable to track players / alignment. Typically due to inexperience. I know when I started, I had no idea at all. : - )
You talk like a coach. Are you a coach?

I don't know a single official who doesn't want to enforce the libero uniform rule. In fact (I referee, and I own a club), 3 years ago when my club changed jerseys, we had a plethora of referees at the beginning of the season enforcing a uniform rule against us when we thought we were compliant, but were borderline enough to bother the officials. (We changed jerseys within a couple of weeks). My point above, however, was that at the college level, these things are decided before the teams take the court. I rarely see a high school or club team come out with a libero jersey that is not contrasting enough who doesn't get called out on it immediately.

Screening --- 2 things. 95% of the coaches out there don't really know the rule, and what appears to be illegal is not. That said, this IS a difficult call from the R1's angle sometimes --- as it does happen that a screen that is in fact illegal doesn't necessarily appear that way from the side angle that the referee has.

BRA - you are likely correct on this one. Tracking who is back row at any time requires experience. 1st-3rd year officials have not developed mental systems for being aware of that. Good 2nd year refs and most 3rd year refs start to catch back row SETTERS and their illegal attacks, but have not yet figured out how to catch the other 1 or 2 players. I would not include libero illegal sets in this category though... most 1st year refs can see that --- and it's usually a lot easier on a player who is perpendicular with the net (like a setter would usually be) than one parallel with the net like a hitter would be.

West Houston Mike