View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
I personally know a coach (in another state) that intentionally does things to see if the referee(s) will enforce the rules. Examples:
  • Team has dark green (forest green) uniforms. Libero wears dark gray. They have a bright orange libero uniform, in case the referees decide to enforce the uniform rule as written.
  • Libero moves (near the end line, within 2-3 feet of the server) across the path of the server at the moment of serve. Libero does this at EVERY serve throughout the match.
  • Tells back row setter to dump an (unintentional) overpass early in the match to determine if referees know about alignment.
On the Libero uniform, I strongly suspect this is not a college team you're talking about --- which is what I was disagreeing with early on. On a high school or club team, all that matters is that the referee him/herself (and the scorer's table) can tell the difference. If that referee decides he/she can tell the difference, he/she is not going to rule that combination illegal.

On the screen ... why do you think that action is illegal? This goes back to my point that most coaches don't know the screen rule. It does not say a player cannot walk in front of the server ... and the case plays on this subject never talk about a player way back near the server. Please re-read this rule.

On the set ... assuming this overpass is above the net, this is an easy call that all but the very newest of referees should be catching. This is specifically mentioned at referee clinics numerous times.

West Houston Mike