View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Simply looking for some friendly debate/discussion, not trying to upset those that reinterpret the rules. I certainly didn't make any claim to be the NCAA Rules Interpreter, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned?

The rule specifically states "contrast." It doesn't say, "as long as you can see the difference" or "as long as you know who the libero is." Perhaps I have the reasons behind the rule completely wrong (I don't think I do, but maybe)...but the rule is the rule.

I don't like all rules. I would amend some others. However, I do my best to enforce the rules as written. What other rules should we reinterpret to suit what we think they should be, since they happen rarely? What other words in the rule book should we redefine for our own convenience?

Locally, I know of many times that the team intentionally wears non-contrasting uniforms. In some cases, it's simply because the libero likes one over the other. In other cases, it's gamesmanship. Testing to see if the officials will enforce the rule.

I personally know a coach (in another state) that intentionally does things to see if the referee(s) will enforce the rules. Examples:
  • Team has dark green (forest green) uniforms. Libero wears dark gray. They have a bright orange libero uniform, in case the referees decide to enforce the uniform rule as written.
  • Libero moves (near the end line, within 2-3 feet of the server) across the path of the server at the moment of serve. Libero does this at EVERY serve throughout the match.
  • Tells back row setter to dump an (unintentional) overpass early in the match to determine if referees know about alignment.

According to her, these are often not called/enforced. Sometimes it's because the referees are clueless. Sometimes, it's because the referee decided that their rules were better than those written in the rule book.