The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker"77;994791]It's the regular gray uniforms of UCLA that are at issue, right?

(e.g. [URL="http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla-womens-volleyball/2016/12/10/13907412/ucla-womens-volleyball-faces-minnesota-in-ncaa-regional-final
http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla-womens-volleyball/2016/12/10/13907412/ucla-womens-volleyball-faces-minnesota-in-ncaa-regional-final[/URL]

or

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla-wom...s-southern-cal

)

I thought I read from another discussion that the questionable libero top was of similar color to the spandex (and presumably other team jersey tops), which would be more debatable than some television shots would indicate. I honestly couldn't say if that was contrasting (but don't get paid to purchase uniforms or officiate under most rule sets). If the potentially offending jersey matches the blue spandex, play on or not?

But, I also wonder why a pink jersey is present in both of the shots I pulled up online with these uniforms in use in other matches.
I saw other pictures from this season where the UCLA libero was wearing a white shirt. Not sure why she was not made to wear it for the Minnesota match. When I first turned on the match I wondered why they weren't using a libero. It wasn't until really looking hard that I saw the difference between the grey and blue uniform tops. I heard that the contrast was more visible in person than on TV.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
My experience is different than yours. I've either made or seen that call made at D1, D2, and D3 matches this past season. Certainly at the high school level it is much more common.
Here's my experience about the frequency of this call....

I've seen the libero setting on / in front of attack line much more in college matches than in all of my HS matches. I find that this occurs far more often in college than in high school.

That said, college liberos tend to be more aware of attempting to keep their feet behind the attack line...but sometimes they have a toe (or side of foot) on the line. When it (rarely) happens in high school, it's more blatant, because they forget or don't know.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
I find that this occurs far more often in college than in high school.
No chance. College libero's set nearly as well with normal passing motion as they do with overhead action. Especially when passing from near the front court. I watched 20-something matches on TV this year and did not see this called once. Not because referees missed it ... but because this is a rule liberos simply don't break.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No chance. College libero's set nearly as well with normal passing motion as they do with overhead action. Especially when passing from near the front court. I watched 20-something matches on TV this year and did not see this called once. Not because referees missed it ... but because this is a rule liberos simply don't break.
I've found it doesn't happen on second and third contacts nearly as much as the libero setting the first contact and the setter dumping the second ball over. I'd say at least 80 percent of me calling this has been the setter dump.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee