The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 20, 2015, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I disagree. The runners on base are not affected by the base on balls. They may be affected by the batter becoming a BR, but earned nothing other than a free base if forced.

If the offense chooses to or makes the error of placing themselves in jeopardy, that is all on them. The defense should not take a hit for making a good play on a bad base running.
So I gather you approve of the ASA philosophy. By definition then, you disagree w/ the NFHS and NCAA interpretations of this case play?

Which means in your words that the defense WOULD "take a hit" for making a good play on a bad base running action. I.E. the run would count in both NFHS and NCAA.

I don't do NCAA, but I'm going to have to remember which hat I'm wearing if I'm ever confronted with this play in a game.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2015, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
So I gather you approve of the ASA philosophy. By definition then, you disagree w/ the NFHS and NCAA interpretations of this case play?

Which means in your words that the defense WOULD "take a hit" for making a good play on a bad base running action. I.E. the run would count in both NFHS and NCAA.

I don't do NCAA, but I'm going to have to remember which hat I'm wearing if I'm ever confronted with this play in a game.
Not speaking for Mike... but the NFHS and NCAA interpretations have no rules basis whatsoever in their own rule books ... other than the published interpretation. They are illogical, and contradict every other case where an out is made prior to a run scoring.

If they intend to treat this as an award, change the rule to state that all runners are awarded a base. Currently (as in ASA) it merely states forced runners are allowed to advance a base without liability to be put out.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 20, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Without a doubt

Quote:

Coach-driven rule sets, what else would you expect?

Quote:

That should be true all the time.