The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Protected batter-runner returning to first base on base on balls

In NFHS baseball, once the batter-runner touches first base on a base on balls award, he is no longer protected. If he continues past the base as you would on a base hit down the first base line, he would be subject to be put out. Is this also true in NFHS softball?
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

No, it's not the same in FED softball. This is just one of the many odball baseball interpretations that FED has adopted.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yeah, we know that a BR is a BR.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Just reading this for my entertainment ( I don't do Fed ball)...

We are talking about BR running through the bag towards RF, right?

I ask because on a base hit down the 1B line, BR would likely be rounding the bag, unless there's a play at 1B (BB or SB)...
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 01:13pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
No, it's not the same in FED softball. This is just one of the many odball baseball interpretations that FED has adopted.

No, baseball is not the odd ruling. Allowing the B/R to over run 1B when first trying to acquire 1B on a batted ball or an uncut third strike is a logical rule because it allows the B/R to run as fast as possible without attempting to go to another base. It is not logical for a B/R to be allowed to over run 1B on a walk because the B/R is being awarded 1B for being walked; in this case there is not reason for a B/R to over run 1B except to attempt to go to 2B.

Therefore I submit to you that the NFHS Softball rule is the oddball rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
No, baseball is not the odd ruling. Allowing the B/R to over run 1B when first trying to acquire 1B on a batted ball or an uncut third strike is a logical rule because it allows the B/R to run as fast as possible without attempting to go to another base. It is not logical for a B/R to be allowed to over run 1B on a walk because the B/R is being awarded 1B for being walked; in this case there is not reason for a B/R to over run 1B except to attempt to go to 2B.

MTD, Sr.
OBR (and its derivatives) and NCAA allow the overrun on a BB. Apparent;y SB does too. So as far as I can tell FED baseball is the ONLY place you cannot.

If ball 4 is a WP do you not want to run to 1B on the chance your 1B coach will send you to 2B? So if he holds you why not be able to overrun as a recovery?
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 02:13pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
OBR (and its derivatives) and NCAA allow the overrun on a BB. Apparent;y SB does too. So as far as I can tell FED baseball is the ONLY place you cannot.

If ball 4 is a WP do you not want to run to 1B on the chance your 1B coach will send you to 2B? So if he holds you why not be able to overrun as a recovery?
Of course but only if you intend to round 1B and make a move to attempt to go to 2B.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Compare this rule for every baseball and softball sanctioning body you can think of, from the Little Leagues to the Major Leagues.

How many prohibit a batter-runner from overrunning first base on a walk?

Just one that I know of. So I'd call that single one the odd man out!
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Of course but only if you intend to round 1B and make a move to attempt to go to 2B.

MTD, Sr.
Or MIGHT go to 2nd, so get to 1st quickly. Also, why not overrun even slowly if you want to, a good habit for U3K or batted ball.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, a batter becomes a batter-runner when the at-bat is complete and not put out; put the ball in play, received ball 4, or uncaught third strike (proper conditions).

By rule, batter-runners can overrun first base without jeopardy unless making an attempt to second base.

So why would some batter-runners NOT have the same rights as other batter-runners? It a foolish and illogical exception in NFHS baseball, IMO. Consistency should be the goal of like and similar rules.