The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Between innings warm up issue

This situation came up in a HS Varsity game yesterday:

Middle of the first inning, visiting team is taking the field on defense, pitcher is taking her warm up throws, coach comes out of the dugout with a bat and ball and begins hitting grounders to a substitute player in front of the dugout in foul territory.

I had never seen this before, neither my partner or I could think of any rule basis to not allow the coach to hit grounders to a sub player so we didn't say anything. The only time this happened was in the middle of the first inning. Any rule basis to not allow this practice?
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Middle of the first inning, visiting team is taking the field on defense, pitcher is taking her warm up throws, coach comes out of the dugout with a bat and ball and begins hitting grounders to a substitute player in front of the dugout in foul territory.

I had never seen this before, neither my partner or I could think of any rule basis to not allow the coach to hit grounders to a sub player so we didn't say anything. The only time this happened was in the middle of the first inning. Any rule basis to not allow this practice?
NFHS 3-6-4: Hitting the ball to teammates on defense is prohibited after the game has started.
3-6-6 Only the . . . or one of the nine players on defense are premitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas.

The note on 3-6-6 allows for "throwing" and "running" activities, but since "fielding" is not mentioned, it is excluded (and hit prohibited in 3-6-4).
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
NFHS 3-6-4: Hitting the ball to teammates on defense is prohibited after the game has started.
3-6-6 Only the . . . or one of the nine players on defense are premitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas.

The note on 3-6-6 allows for "throwing" and "running" activities, but since "fielding" is not mentioned, it is excluded (and hit prohibited in 3-6-4).
Also, Case Ruling 3.6.4 SITUATION:

The coach of Team A hits balls to the infield or the outfield while F1 is warming up at the start of an inning.

RULING: There shall be no balls hit to any fielders following pregame infield/outfield practice. The umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of Team A with any subsequent offender being restricted to the bench/dugout for the remainder of the game.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I was aware of 3-6-4, but felt it did not apply since the player taking the ground balls was not on defense, she was a sub. I think I can use 3-6-6, Note: Bench personnel are permitted to engage in throwing and running activities during the one minute designated for the pitcher to throw her five warm up pitches at the beginning of each half inning

Last edited by Andy; Thu Apr 02, 2015 at 02:34pm.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I was aware of 3-6-4, but felt it did not apply since the player taking the ground balls was not on defense, she was a sub. I think I can use 3-6-6, Note: Bench personnel are permitted to engage in throwing and running activities during the one minute designated for the pitcher to throw her five warm up pitches at the beginning of each half inning
Isn't the team "on defense" the team whose turn it is to be in the field?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't the team "on defense" the team whose turn it is to be in the field?
So that means it cannot be done while the team is in the field, but can by a coach of a team preparing to bat?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Try looking at it this way:

Worst case scenario if you prohibit this activity is an upset coach.

Worst case scenario if you allow this activity, injury followed by umpire(s) becoming defendants in a civil suit.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So that means it cannot be done while the team is in the field, but can by a coach of a team preparing to bat?
My comment was in relation to the very narrow issue of sub vs. active player; specific to the case at hand.

Of course, good point about not considering broader implications.