The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Between Innings The Rat Said...

"You guys don't know the rules! You missed that one....the batter's out!" After being encouraged to go home and spend some time reading the rules, he said, "I don't need to read the rules...I have coached for 10 years in New York."

At that point, I smiled and said, "there's your problem."

Situation:
OBR, R1, 2 outs, dropped third strike.

In the previous inning he had complained about an infield fly not being called with R1 only.

Now tell me guys, is that really how it works it New York?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
"You guys don't know the rules! You missed that one....the batter's out!" After being encouraged to go home and spend some time reading the rules, he said, "I don't need to read the rules...I have coached for 10 years in New York."

At that point, I smiled and said, "there's your problem."

Situation:
OBR, R1, 2 outs, dropped third strike.

In the previous inning he had complained about an infield fly not being called with R1 only.

Now tell me guys, is that really how it works it New York?

I can't say for sure how it works in New York, but here in the armpit of the Midwest he would have been on his way to the Lazy Boy and Budweiser for the rest of the game. He certainly isn't going to stay after making those comments!

Tim.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:51pm

I don't know. Let's ask the expert.....

Rich Ives, where are you?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I don't know. Let's ask the expert.....

Rich Ives, where are you?
There are a lot of folks in NY that are short on clues. Why would you think we're any different?

NY is pretty big and diverse. Any resemblance between NY City and where I live is strictly coincidental. Even within NYC, any resemblance between the South Bronx and Staten Island is coincidental.

NY is bigger than one usually thinks. It's over 500 miles from Montauk to Buffalo (using the shortcut through NJ&PA) and 400 miles from NYC to the Canadian border north of Plattsburgh.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Last I checked an infield fly can only be called with runners on first and second or bases loaded and less than two outs (and I ump in NY). Although occassionally the coaches try for a variation or two.

Ed H

Last edited by edhern; Tue May 16, 2006 at 11:52pm.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhern
Last I checked an infield fly can only be called with runners on first and second and less than two outs (and I ump in NY).
ah, so the state of NY doesnt allow for bases loaded - less than two out infield flys. you crazy new yorkers...
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey out here in California , last night I had a coach ask for the infield fly on a pop up in front of the dug out , clearly in foul territory. He had the situation right (Runners 1 & 2 with less than two outs) but the location wrong. I just shook my head and said "your just testing me, right coach?"

Steve

Sunny CA
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Blue
Hey out here in California , last night I had a coach ask for the infield fly on a pop up in front of the dug out , clearly in foul territory. He had the situation right (Runners 1 & 2 with less than two outs) but the location wrong. I just shook my head and said "your just testing me, right coach?"

Steve

Sunny CA
Out here in the dismally overcast, chilly and damp Midwest, I had an umpire call an Infield Fly with runners (only) on 2nd & 3rd last week. Unfortunately, the fielder caught the pop-up & the runners stayed on their bases, so it wasn't nearly as much fun as it might have been.

JM
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Out here in the dismally overcast, chilly and damp Midwest, I had an umpire call an Infield Fly with runners (only) on 2nd & 3rd last week. Unfortunately, the fielder caught the pop-up & the runners stayed on their bases, so it wasn't nearly as much fun as it might have been.

JM
Oh, God is that embarrassing. I did the same thing a few weeks ago, working alone, naturally. There was a passed ball the pitch before and the runners both moved up. Next pitch was popped up to shortstop, there I go with "Infield Fly, batter's out." As soon as it escaped my mouth, I realized what I had done, looked for the big hole to crawl into, and not finding one just stood there hoping for the best. Fortunately it was caught and the runners stayed on their bases, so it wasn't nearly as much fun for the local rats as JM would want it to be. Everyone still managed a little chuckle. I played it off and laughed with them.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Guys, the coach was right. It was an "infield fly", just not an out!!! Maybe we should be yelling.. "infield fly batter is not out until caught"???

Last season I had a coach ask me to get help from my partner after I called a strike on a check swing. And believe it or not, a coach actually tried to tell me that the hands were part of the bat... Can you believe it??

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

This is why we signal each other that IFF is in effect. I've made the occasional mistake of signaling IFF is on when it wasn't. Partner's quick swipe of the arm (IFF is off signal) told me I was in outer space, and prevented the possibility of the sitch above.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Mcrowder, poor Steve was working alone, by his lonesome. That happened a lot this season, with all our rain-out makeup games here in sunny California.

While working solo, signals are superflous. I have asked for help from my "partner" on occasion, just for giggles.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:19pm

You do that too? I do it on check swings when they from reflex say "ask for help." I say to Harvey the Rabbitt, "did he go?......."no, he didn't go!"

I work with Harvey on all but tournament games, when we go to 2-man.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

The real fun is when I work a 4 man all by myself. "They're coming to take me away....haha...hehe"...

Bob (Straightjacket Blue) P

-----------------------
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Guys, the coach was right. It was an "infield fly", just not an out!!! Maybe we should be yelling.. "infield fly batter is not out until caught"???

Last season I had a coach ask me to get help from my partner after I called a strike on a check swing. And believe it or not, a coach actually tried to tell me that the hands were part of the bat... Can you believe it??

Bob P.
Yes, I can....
Varsity game a couple years back, we are getting continuous static from the visitors dugout. V'sB1 takes a mighty cut and cracks his knuckles on the ball; takes off running. I'm yelling TIME!, DEAD BALL! IT HIT HIM at the top of my lungs; and here comes the visitor's head rat: "Hands are part of the bat, Blue!" "You're kidding me, right, coach?" "NO- THE HANDS ARE PART OF THE BAT!" "Not this bat [holding up Exhibit A]. Count is 2-2."