The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

between innings

Where do you guys go between innings as a plate umpire. I know we are supposed to go up the line and alternate but how do you decide which way to go first?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

If the **** hit the fan in the top of the first go the opposite way. If not, go towards home.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

It must have been a decade ago; I worked with a guy who would always stand a few feet back from the line on the team that was readying to bat. I saw him get hit by a guy who was loosening up with his back to the infield.

I always stand about twenty feet from home, down the line of the team that goes on defense. That partner does the same now.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I always stand about twenty feet from home, down the line of the team that goes on defense.
Same here. There's less people and less aluminum.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I always go to the teams side that's batting next. Why? Because I probably just rang up someone in the other dugout. No need to stand on that side.

I thought that was common knowledge.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:45pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
Where do you guys go between innings as a plate umpire. I know we are supposed to go up the line and alternate but how do you decide which way to go first?
I usually ask the managers at the plate meeting if they have a preference, and go with that. If they don't, or can't agree, I flip a coin.

Standing on the side opposite the stands with the hotter WAGs and never varying from that side is always a good solution, too.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I usually ask the managers at the plate meeting if they have a preference, and go with that. If they don't, or can't agree, I flip a coin.

Standing on the side opposite the stands with the hotter WAGs and never varying from that side is always a good solution, too.
Really? They just want you out of the way. They don't care where you stand.

I go to the side of the team coming to bat so I can get the first batter's attention with one warmup pitch left. I have gone to the side of the team coming on to the field as well. Both work.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

When I officiated Ice Hockey, we would always make a point of standing on the side of the ice adjacent to the "Happy Team" The one that just scored or did not end up on the short end of penalties or decisions, (at least in their mind). This way if the coach or players had nasties to express they had to verballize them loud enough for ALL to hear. In those cases, everyone in the arena new why people were being asked to leave.

Baseball is just about the same. Stay away from the unhappy bench when necessary. Make the players or coaches go out of there way to offer unpleasantries, if they don't and say it loud enough for all to hear, well.......???

Let just say, there is nothing wrong with being diplomatically professional.

It is kind of like standing around after a game waiting to shake hands or looking for complements. The team that lost may take exception with you still being there. So why not offer some advice to you.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
????

Your kidding Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me your Kidding. Please!!!!!!!
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I go to the "next offense" side in the first 5 (or 7) innings and the "next defense" side in the last 2 innings.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:58pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
????

Your kidding Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me your Kidding. Please!!!!!!!
No, really; I do flip a coin if they can't agree.

It doesn't matter, though. My partner and I usually have plenty to talk about between innings, so I'm almost always on the first-base line. When the benches start yelling, "We're waiting on you, blue!" he finds the third-base line too far to run to get back in position.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, really; I do flip a coin if they can't agree.

It doesn't matter, though. My partner and I usually have plenty to talk about between innings, so I'm almost always on the first-base line. When the benches start yelling, "We're waiting on you, blue!" he finds the third-base line too far to run to get back in position.
HA! Good stuff.

jicecone is right about using what side happy/unhappy. I use that as a factor, also, along with breeze, shade, and the GLM variable. But the hitting team is my starting point, and what I teach.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I always go to the teams side that's batting next. Why? Because I probably just rang up someone in the other dugout. No need to stand on that side.

I thought that was common knowledge.
You may have also blown a call at the plate in the previous half-inning, which lead to another 5 runs scoring. I doubt you'd want to be on the batting team's side.

I agree with the "side that's not mad at you" crowd. However, when there isn't a side that matches, I go to the defensive side.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I generally try to stand on the side of the team going on defense, there tends to be less people around to bother me. I also can keep an eye on the on deck hitter and get their attention if they are slow in getting to the plate.

If lineup changes are being made, I will stand near the official score keeper so they can hear the changes at the same time I do.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone read an umpire manual? That's usually a good place to start when it comes to proper mechanics. Virtually every manual has the plate umpire take a position on the side of the team going onto defense. There are two main reasons for that. First, most substitutions that occur between innings are defensive changes. Offensive changes tend to occur when that player is actually coming to bat. Second, that puts the umpire in a better position to "encourage" the defense to take the field without wasting a lot of time.

The position can change if you think you're going to get an earful from the defensive team, but umpires should be careful not to hide from trouble either.

Umpires should not regularly talk between innings unless you're working with a new umpire and find it beneficial to point things out each half inning. If you wonder why your games take so long, ask yourself how much time you waste talking to your partner.

While not all codes have time limits between innings, umpires should establish a good pace for the game. That's part of your game management. Consider this for a 7 inning game: if you allow 60 seconds between innings (including to start the game) thats 14 minutes per game; 90 seconds = 21 minutes per game; 120 seconds = 28 minutes.

MLB usually allows 2:30 between innings (depending on the channel.) That's 45 minutes per game, not including pitching changes!

Encourage the defense to take the field without unnecessary delay. Don't talk to your partner unless there's a good reason for it. Never make the teams wait for the umpires.