View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This situation came up in a HS Varsity game yesterday:

Middle of the first inning, visiting team is taking the field on defense, pitcher is taking her warm up throws, coach comes out of the dugout with a bat and ball and begins hitting grounders to a substitute player in front of the dugout in foul territory.

I had never seen this before, neither my partner or I could think of any rule basis to not allow the coach to hit grounders to a sub player so we didn't say anything. The only time this happened was in the middle of the first inning. Any rule basis to not allow this practice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
NFHS 3-6-4: Hitting the ball to teammates on defense is prohibited after the game has started.
3-6-6 Only the . . . or one of the nine players on defense are premitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas.

The note on 3-6-6 allows for "throwing" and "running" activities, but since "fielding" is not mentioned, it is excluded (and hit prohibited in 3-6-4).
Also, Case Ruling 3.6.4 SITUATION:

The coach of Team A hits balls to the infield or the outfield while F1 is warming up at the start of an inning.

RULING: There shall be no balls hit to any fielders following pregame infield/outfield practice. The umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of Team A with any subsequent offender being restricted to the bench/dugout for the remainder of the game.