The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

number of defensive conferences

In a NCHSAA playoff game, the umpires misapplied the rule for the number of defensive conferences for a team playing NFHS rules. The umpires enforced the NCAA rule of having to remove a pitcher after the second defensive team conference in an inning.

Tough loss | Washington Daily News
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the whole crew got the "got a second" call from the boss. An entire crew didnt know its only NCAA that allows only 1 defensive conference per inning?
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

This is wrong for NCAA. The umpires are supposed to prevent the time out from occurring since a 2nd conference with announcement of the change results in the coach's ejection.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Sounds like the whole crew got the "got a second" call from the boss. An entire crew didnt know its only NCAA that allows only 1 defensive conference per inning?
Before you say "only," you may want to consider some other rulebooks out there...
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

You are correct, but NSA is the only one I can come up with so far that is 1 per inning and dont know how big that particular association is because it isnt played at all out here.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck View Post
In a NCHSAA playoff game, the umpires misapplied the rule for the number of defensive conferences for a team playing NFHS rules. The umpires enforced the NCAA rule of having to remove a pitcher after the second defensive team conference in an inning.

Tough loss | Washington Daily News
Maybe they should use HS umpires.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Maybe they should use HS umpires.
But, but, but.... college umpires are BETTER!
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

A misapplication of a misapplication. How much worse can it get (well, other than the write up, as my "travel ball" has the same rule about conferences). Anyway, what is real curious is the 20 minute delay that is mentioned in the article. During this 20 minutes, you would think that someone would get a rule book. That would have solved this issue, no?

And for you NCAA umpires out there, as EquUmp said, the penalty is a coach ejection, not removal of the pitcher. And we wonder why this question is on the test year after year.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 11:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
This is wrong for NCAA. The umpires are supposed to prevent the time out from occurring since a 2nd conference with announcement of the change results in the coach's ejection.
Don't you mean a second conference without the announcement of a change?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
...Anyway, what is real curious is the 20 minute delay that is mentioned in the article. During this 20 minutes, you would think that someone would get a rule book. That would have solved this issue, no?....
This is the part that jumped out at me.

20 minutes?????? And they still didn't get it right????

What the heck happened during this 20 minute delay?
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 12:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This is the part that jumped out at me.

20 minutes?????? And they still didn't get it right????

What the heck happened during this 20 minute delay?
Sounds like they were trying to find the protest committee that the powers-that-be apparently forgot to organize.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Now THAT'S FUNNY!
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

When you work multiple levels at the same time (such as NCAA softball, high school softball and high school baseball) you sure better know the rule differences off the top of your head. Nothing will get you in trouble quicker than applying the wrong rule to the wrong game.

Lack of rule knowledge is totally unacceptable.
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yeah, I'll second the "that's funny" comment.

Worked HS varsity w/ a guy that does college ball. I don't know what level.

Top of the first, a lefty batter drops a bunt down that has a lot of spin on it. In her attempt to not come in contact with the ball, she takes a path inside the baseline that brought her about 10' from the line. About a third of the way down the line, BU partner calls her out. I was trailing and looking for possible contact and clearly saw there was none.

O-coach asks him to check w/ me. He does. I tell him what I saw - no contact. He then turns to the coach and said: "He didn't see anything. We're staying with the out."

After the game, I asked about it. He claims he thought he saw something. Specifically that the ball appeared to pick up speed after the runner jumped over it. I said that was probably because of the spin on the ball.

So he thought he saw something. I clearly provided him information to the contrary. He apparently couldn't reverse his call.

Yup. Better.
Old Fri May 23, 2014, 08:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Yeah, I'll second the "that's funny" comment.

Worked HS varsity w/ a guy that does college ball. I don't know what level.

Top of the first, a lefty batter drops a bunt down that has a lot of spin on it. In her attempt to not come in contact with the ball, she takes a path inside the baseline that brought her about 10' from the line. About a third of the way down the line, BU partner calls her out. I was trailing and looking for possible contact and clearly saw there was none.

O-coach asks him to check w/ me. He does. I tell him what I saw - no contact. He then turns to the coach and said: "He didn't see anything. We're staying with the out."

After the game, I asked about it. He claims he thought he saw something. Specifically that the ball appeared to pick up speed after the runner jumped over it. I said that was probably because of the spin on the ball.

So he thought he saw something. I clearly provided him information to the contrary. He apparently couldn't reverse his call.

Yup. Better.
You should've talked to him later between innings and told him not to make calls from 60+ feet away while you're right on top of the play.