The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

defensive conferences

in ncaa - how many trips can a coach make to a pitcher before the pitcher must be removed? the rulebook seems to indicate a combination of fed and pro rules, but BRD only indicates that the pro rule only comes into effect in extra innings. please clarify.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
in ncaa - how many trips can a coach make to a pitcher before the pitcher must be removed? the rulebook seems to indicate a combination of fed and pro rules, but BRD only indicates that the pro rule only comes into effect in extra innings. please clarify.
The team gets three "free" conferences (that is, conferences on which they don't have to remove a pitcher) in each game, plus one additional conference if the game goes extra innings.

In addition, a pitcher must be removed on the second visit in an inning.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

is BRD wrong?? because it seems to indicate that the 2nd trip/same pitcher/same inning rule only applies in extra innings.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

bob has more experience than do I, so I'm not arguing his comment. However, I just read this rule today. What I read was that you have three per 9 innings (don't recall the two same inning, etc). Also you get one more per three extra innings. Any unused in regulation can carry over into the extra innings.

edit to add: You can look up the 2007 NCAA rules on line. You should be able to find a definitive answer there. Just Google for NCAA baseball rules and it'll be your first choice.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is BRD wrong?? because it seems to indicate that the 2nd trip/same pitcher/same inning rule only applies in extra innings.
Bob is correct. 9-4a says 3 trips per game plus an extra trip in extra innings, except by 9-4b exception which says 2 trips in same inning is cause to remove.

Last edited by DG; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 10:28pm.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 2006 version of the BRD is correct (that is the latest issue). If you are reading a 2006 version, re-read the section again - it gets a little confusing for new NCAA umpires.

Regards
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
bob has more experience than do I, so I'm not arguing his comment. However, I just read this rule today. What I read was that you have three per 9 innings (don't recall the two same inning, etc). Also you get one more per three extra innings.
The "one more per three extra innings" applies to OFFENSIVE conferences. The DEFENSE gets one extra for the game.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

ncaa rule book v BRD

bob is correct. ncaa rule 9.4.b indicates that a pitcher must be removed when 2nd trip, same inning, same pitcher. it does not refer to "extra innings" therefore it applies to regulation play. BRD 2006 refers to this rule only applying in "extra" innings. i'm not sure what some of you are reading?

my only concern was that BRD seems to be wrong.
i just heard from carl and he just confirmed it.
G
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The "one more per three extra innings" applies to OFFENSIVE conferences. The DEFENSE gets one extra for the game.
Good thing I was planning to re-read the rules, huh?