The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   number of defensive conferences (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97932-number-defensive-conferences.html)

jodibuck Tue May 20, 2014 10:16pm

number of defensive conferences

In a NCHSAA playoff game, the umpires misapplied the rule for the number of defensive conferences for a team playing NFHS rules. The umpires enforced the NCAA rule of having to remove a pitcher after the second defensive team conference in an inning.

Tough loss | Washington Daily News

RKBUmp Tue May 20, 2014 11:13pm

Sounds like the whole crew got the "got a second" call from the boss. An entire crew didnt know its only NCAA that allows only 1 defensive conference per inning?

EsqUmp Wed May 21, 2014 06:28am

This is wrong for NCAA. The umpires are supposed to prevent the time out from occurring since a 2nd conference with announcement of the change results in the coach's ejection.

EsqUmp Wed May 21, 2014 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 934543)
Sounds like the whole crew got the "got a second" call from the boss. An entire crew didnt know its only NCAA that allows only 1 defensive conference per inning?

Before you say "only," you may want to consider some other rulebooks out there...

RKBUmp Wed May 21, 2014 06:58am

You are correct, but NSA is the only one I can come up with so far that is 1 per inning and dont know how big that particular association is because it isnt played at all out here.

CecilOne Wed May 21, 2014 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodibuck (Post 934538)
In a NCHSAA playoff game, the umpires misapplied the rule for the number of defensive conferences for a team playing NFHS rules. The umpires enforced the NCAA rule of having to remove a pitcher after the second defensive team conference in an inning.

Tough loss | Washington Daily News

Maybe they should use HS umpires.

Dakota Wed May 21, 2014 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 934561)
Maybe they should use HS umpires.

But, but, but.... college umpires are BETTER!

Big Slick Wed May 21, 2014 09:50am

A misapplication of a misapplication. How much worse can it get (well, other than the write up, as my "travel ball" has the same rule about conferences). Anyway, what is real curious is the 20 minute delay that is mentioned in the article. During this 20 minutes, you would think that someone would get a rule book. That would have solved this issue, no?

And for you NCAA umpires out there, as EquUmp said, the penalty is a coach ejection, not removal of the pitcher. And we wonder why this question is on the test year after year.

Manny A Wed May 21, 2014 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 934551)
This is wrong for NCAA. The umpires are supposed to prevent the time out from occurring since a 2nd conference with announcement of the change results in the coach's ejection.

Don't you mean a second conference without the announcement of a change?

Andy Wed May 21, 2014 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 934565)
...Anyway, what is real curious is the 20 minute delay that is mentioned in the article. During this 20 minutes, you would think that someone would get a rule book. That would have solved this issue, no?....

This is the part that jumped out at me.

20 minutes?????? And they still didn't get it right????

What the heck happened during this 20 minute delay?

Manny A Wed May 21, 2014 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 934576)
This is the part that jumped out at me.

20 minutes?????? And they still didn't get it right????

What the heck happened during this 20 minute delay?

Sounds like they were trying to find the protest committee that the powers-that-be apparently forgot to organize.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 21, 2014 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 934562)

Now THAT'S FUNNY!

SE Minnestoa Re Thu May 22, 2014 10:32am

When you work multiple levels at the same time (such as NCAA softball, high school softball and high school baseball) you sure better know the rule differences off the top of your head. Nothing will get you in trouble quicker than applying the wrong rule to the wrong game.

Lack of rule knowledge is totally unacceptable.

Tru_in_Blu Thu May 22, 2014 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 934562)

Yeah, I'll second the "that's funny" comment.

Worked HS varsity w/ a guy that does college ball. I don't know what level.

Top of the first, a lefty batter drops a bunt down that has a lot of spin on it. In her attempt to not come in contact with the ball, she takes a path inside the baseline that brought her about 10' from the line. About a third of the way down the line, BU partner calls her out. I was trailing and looking for possible contact and clearly saw there was none.

O-coach asks him to check w/ me. He does. I tell him what I saw - no contact. He then turns to the coach and said: "He didn't see anything. We're staying with the out."

After the game, I asked about it. He claims he thought he saw something. Specifically that the ball appeared to pick up speed after the runner jumped over it. I said that was probably because of the spin on the ball.

So he thought he saw something. I clearly provided him information to the contrary. He apparently couldn't reverse his call.

Yup. Better.

Manny A Fri May 23, 2014 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 934689)
Yeah, I'll second the "that's funny" comment.

Worked HS varsity w/ a guy that does college ball. I don't know what level.

Top of the first, a lefty batter drops a bunt down that has a lot of spin on it. In her attempt to not come in contact with the ball, she takes a path inside the baseline that brought her about 10' from the line. About a third of the way down the line, BU partner calls her out. I was trailing and looking for possible contact and clearly saw there was none.

O-coach asks him to check w/ me. He does. I tell him what I saw - no contact. He then turns to the coach and said: "He didn't see anything. We're staying with the out."

After the game, I asked about it. He claims he thought he saw something. Specifically that the ball appeared to pick up speed after the runner jumped over it. I said that was probably because of the spin on the ball.

So he thought he saw something. I clearly provided him information to the contrary. He apparently couldn't reverse his call.

Yup. Better.

You should've talked to him later between innings and told him not to make calls from 60+ feet away while you're right on top of the play.