The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Overthrow Clarification

ASA Rule 8-5-G:
“When the ball is live and becomes overthrown or is blocked:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon.
Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:
EFFECT: Each runner is awarded one base from the base last touched at the time the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked. “

Can you fine folks clarify the underlined exception for me, including an example?

The way I am reading this is that if a fielder has possession of the ball, but then drops it, and it rolls into dead ball territory, the base award will be 1 base from the moment it rolls into dead ball territory. In my limited experience (3 years) I haven't seen that happen, so I am just trying to prepare myself for our season starting in a few weeks.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

It's for when a fielder has possession of the ball and then something other than a throw causes it to go out of play.

An example I've often heard: Runner coming into third base. F5 catches the ball and goes to apply a tag. On the tag, the ball pops out of the fielder's glove and rolls out of play.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 06:46am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post
ASA Rule 8-5-G:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon.
Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:
EFFECT: Each runner is awarded one base from the base last touched at the time the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked. “

Can you fine folks clarify the underlined exception for me, including an example?

The way I am reading this is that if a fielder has possession of the ball, but then drops it, and it rolls into dead ball territory, the base award will be 1 base from the moment it rolls into dead ball territory. In my limited experience (3 years) I haven't seen that happen, so I am just trying to prepare myself for our season starting in a few weeks.
I believe your example is still considered a two-base award from the "throw", with the "throw" being when the fielder drops the ball.

ASA RS#38 specifically mentions the tag attempt to clarify the Exception in 8-5-G.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It's for when a fielder has possession of the ball and then something other than a throw causes it to go out of play.

An example I've often heard: Runner coming into third base. F5 catches the ball and goes to apply a tag. On the tag, the ball pops out of the fielder's glove and rolls out of play.
This is correct. There are numerous ways this could happen where the players loses control of the ball without a throw. A couple could include a sweep tag, ball being dislodged throw contact with a runner, base or ground, etc.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone.

That clarifies it. I just didn't understand the wording.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post
ASA Rule 8-5-G:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon. Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:

Good example of knowing what to do in rare circumstances. There are 4 in this rule, probably less than 10 occurrences in my 27 years of umpiring.

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 05:09pm.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

A) Please do not ever use that color again. I'm blind!
B) you win the multicolored post award for the year.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A) Please do not ever use that color again. I'm blind!
B) you win the multicolored post award for the year.

I changed the cyan to blue.

Also forgot the grey background would be like reading ASA rules.